Seasoning firewood

Ash Landscapes

I split some "seasoned" oak and ash last week for home, on splitting it read between 22-27% a few days later after being stacked inside a garage it read 18-25%

Don't know if that's a normal rate of drying, seems very quick to me but it's what the meter told me. Hope it helps

Chopped and spilt some wood this week,moisture content is averaging on 35%.Can anyone give me any ideas when they think it ready to sell.It is a mixture of hard/softwood.

Thanks Ash Landscapes

If its reading that high i doubt it will reduce much in the coming months if it is stacked outside . I would of thought it is next years firewood.

I split some "seasoned" oak and ash last week for home, on splitting it read between 22-27% a few days later after being stacked inside a garage it read 18-25%

Don't know if that's a normal rate of drying, seems very quick to me but it's what the meter told me. Hope it helps

Wood does not dry this fast. You need to resplit any wood and retake several moisture readings with a reliable meter to get an idea.

If you're splitting wood now then it'll be for next year. Now the weather has cooled and humidity is high wood dries very little from now until March.

Wood does not dry this fast. You need to resplit any wood and retake several moisture readings with a reliable meter to get an idea.

If you're splitting wood now then it'll be for next year. Now the weather has cooled and humidity is high wood dries very little from now until March.

Rob, I agree with you that his wood will more likely be ready next season.

But I wish to point out that the lower temperatures "weather has cooled" have in fact produced lower humidity, since it takes thermal energy to maintain the water vapour in the atmosphere.

As noted the lack of thermal energy to evaporate water from his wood may also lead to its moisture content not reducing sufficiently fast.

But I wish to point out that the lower temperatures "weather has cooled" have in fact produced lower humidity, since it takes thermal energy to maintain the water vapour in the atmosphere.

As noted the lack of thermal energy to evaporate water from his wood may also lead to its moisture content not reducing sufficiently fast.

True fact and valid point, the colder the air the less moisture it can take/hold.

I have year old sycamore and beech, stored outside in 4m lengths, I process and delive. At my house it goes in wood shed and then fill basket in my hallway, I also have a basket in the lounge next to burner, burn the dry stuff while the basket in the hall dries, a basket lasts me a week, so the stock rotation gives me dry logs all the time.