France calling...

Hi All,

Not living in France (yet) but I do have a small house in Brittany - about 16km north of Josselin.

Just joined this forum as I have a lot of trees and hedges to look after (small house big gardens).

Popping over to France every two or three weeks at the moment.

Hope to bump into you somewhere down the road a piece.

Pete.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Some days are like this.

A recorded delivery chitty in the box so off to La Poste passport in hand and an EDF bill to collect whatever the lazy postie couldn't deliver.

(we saw her, she saw us but she still couldn't be bothered because it would have delayed her round by 3 min 33seconds)

At La Poste I queued like an Olympian queuer until my turn where I produced the 'chitty' at the counter.

"But monsewer, this is for 'Le Jardinier Anglais'

"That's right, that's me"

But...how do I know you are in fact 'Le Jardinier Anglais'...?

"Oh come on Madame, I'm the only Anglais in town and my van is parked outside of your window, look, THERE!"

"Ah, but I require proof that you are 'Le Jardinier Anglais'

Proof...?

"Yes, an extract of your business registration for example less than 3 months old"

"Well, I replied, pointing at the envelope Madame clutched in her sweaty paw, that there envelope contains such a document as I can read from here it is from the Chambre du Commerce and likely contains the new registration documents as we are now a limited company."

"Ah Monsewer, you will need to apply for a copy of the old documents so they are less than 3 months old before I can release you the copy of the new ones you merely 'think' are in this envelope"

" Is this because we won more gold medals than you?" I braved the question...

It went right over her head BUT...in light of the ever increasing queue behind me finally gave in when the mother of the Mayor who was standing behind me (bless her 80year old socks) came forward and just stared very hard through the glass and muttered "My son will hear of this..."

Within seconds I had my precious envelope thrust into my hand and the new registration documents for...

Le Jardinier Anglais "Society Anonym Responsibilitie Limitie"

(or some such spelling)

Phew!

Ty

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like hard work, hope the package was worth it!:lol:

That old lady's got some good karma sutra tonight, the la poste woman, not so much:biggrin:

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Lucky old lady!

We had the opposite with DHL, my wifes new passport, birth certificate, livret de famille all stuffed into the post box, signature done by the driver. Called DHL, not fussed. called embassy, not fussed. I love the way we have to jump through hoops, but no one else it seems!

• 1 month later...

Just enjoyed working in Vendee (WARM & SUN!) for a week, but it sounds difficult to set a business up here from above thread. We just like coming over for a change in scenery, it feels like a holiday, especially as we are normally accomadated in holiday gites etc. and get well looked after, just been taken out to eat a 'huge' lunch in local 'routier' where every table in the building was seated with 'working men' (100's!) eating a 5 course meal with wine, not a site you would ever see in UK...

It was a bit sureal after the normal site in UK of guys hanging around burger vans., everyone stopped at 12 on the dot, the roads emptied, and they ate for an hour! sitting down properly at a table and everything, there were rows and rows of tables, and each one was full, seated with 6 guys all tucking in to a 5 course meal, wine in glasses, not a cup of tea in site, from all kinds of backgrounds, HGV drivers and firemen, road workers, engineers etc. and none of them were overweight, I was taken to eat several times, after mornings work (and had changed and washed), dissapointed not to be wearing all our work gear, we may have fitted better. Our normal work day lunch is grab a soggy sandwhich if you have time, standing in whatever weather and eat in 10 minutes!