France calling...

I was stopped about 3 months ago on the way home. they checked the usual paper work then asked if i was registered. (siret on the side of the truck gave it away) I had to show them my business registration paper work aswell, i always carry it with me anyway.

They seemed impressed with the quals and portfolio, i drove away from them feeling pretty pleased with myself knowing that i am registered and the "dave dix euro" better watch out.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning,

Currently, at least until 2012 there is no single E.U spec.

Britain, Germany and France have different standards.

For France, the cycle bars in front of the wheels, the tow hitch and the distance from hitch to axle seem to be the main differences between the British standards and French.

As for most things, you are fine until you have a prang and then Gendarmes look closer at items such as registration and insurance.

Hundreds of Brits run around in 'illegal' vehicles in France towing unregistered trailers, the Gendarmes (thick as pig **** and just as stubborn) don't always know what they should be looking for, if they did then they would have a field day.

I'm having a cert.con done special for the trailer now at the manufacturers expense.

Now off for a jolly Saturday grinding near Dinan, 12h days 7day weeks at the moment K'ching!

Ty

Ah what the devil...

The word from Mr Turner boss fella head honcho of Greenmech is that the new E.U regs for trailers don't come in till October 2012.:thumbdown:

Somehow, I've got to manage until then with the wee chipper or bite an unsavoury bullet and buy a French homoglated chipper which is several grand more than the versions sold in the U.K.:confused1:

Nuts...

sorry to hijack this thread but as work is way to slow here in uk i was wondering if yourselves or if you know of any other companies that maybe llooking for week on wek off workers for either forestry felling or tree surgery work i have cs30 31 38 9 years experience mixed between both industrys including saw work and driving forwaders and harvesters any help would be much appreciated

Hello,

We have a lot of work and a great future BUT...

Coming to live and work in a non-English speaking country is a big leap.

Its like being thick, dumb, illiterate and second class all in one hit.

Try taking the 'holiday' of going to a foreign country and thinking...'without the support network of my family, mates, pub, tesco etc' will I be happy or even survive...

Its a huge leap, not like going to Oz or N.Z or...Scotlandshire.

Ty

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Didn't realise that there were so many of us here.

Strictly speaking im registered as a bucheron, and have found work here to be a mixed bag. Most of my time has been spent buying and selling firewood, but Im seriously toying with the idea of branching out into arb.

I would be looking to do my climbig courses in the uk, to complement my existing forestry ualifications.

I keep getting asked if I do ariel work and have to turn down a lot of work.

Im in souther manche, near Villediue les poeles. (50):thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...