Now thats a busy yard!

posch jon

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumor has it that the majority of CW work force is from Eastern Europe so no surprise there. No one can compete with a workforce paid peanuts. Another rumor is that they run a separate company acting as an agency for foreign workers (from within the EU) looking to enter the country. Very handy when looking for cheap workers willing to work any hours.

All seems a bit suspicious to me. Lots of nudge,nudge,wink,wink going on.

Most of the wood in my area seems to go to CW for wood fuel. A large percentage of this wood is of high quality and could be used for milling, but woodland owners just want a quick buck. Managed woodland is all very well as long as it is managed for the right reason. Woodland owners these days seem to just want to strip the woodland near to bare putting as little back into the area as they can get away with. I don’t see how this can be classed as sustainable with the current practice.

What happened to the days of woodland management where the work was done for the right reason and sometimes even BY HAND?

CW logs sold by a nearby stove store for £186 per cu.m. - this is not competitive so don't worry about them taking your trade

Well you should start to worry as this company is obviously using a system of marginal costing whereby they have insufficient supplies of raw materials to meet demand therefore restrict there market by keeping prices high which produces super profits. If they can increase there supply of raw materials they can reduce there pricing without reducing profits. Most operators will work on a cost plus basis which in the short term will undercut the marginal costing operator but in the long term economies of scale kick in and the cost plus operator becomes uneconomic.

I could never understand why I needed to study economics.