10 days, 103 boards & 2 bags of wykabor.

TrollSpiel

This is my kiln setup. thought i'd show mine as others have posted similar to draw inspiration from.

There are 103 boards in there ( room is 15x8x8 ).

Big chestnut that has sat out for a year - boards are 8ftx4ft, 2 & 3" thick.

Lots of oak, american red oak, holm oak, cedar, a lot of very pretty Hornbeam and some other bits. Boards are 8,7,5 & 4 foot, from 100cm to 35.

2 circulating fans, a heat source, ebac dehumidifier, duct fan extraction on a humidistat, remote temp/humidity sensor. Startup temp (after wood getting to temperature) , 35 degrees @ 78% humidity. Pulling 10L of water a day from dehumidifer.

Took 5 days to cut and transport - including clutch rebuild on the 880 - another 5 days to de-bark, treat with wykabor and then stack, which was a task in itself - not just fitting it all in well, but lifting boards my own bodyweight to the tops of the stacks, alone. (where's the neurofen, wifey?)

I didn't take many pics during the stacking, showing off the timbers - and apologies for posting so many in this post, hogging the bandwidth, but if it helps others so see how other people may do it....

All cut with an ms880 48/36, and the power of Alaskan Mill / Granberg. Grrr.

IMG_1295.jpg.30c3fb65bd0c50683b34f593f2204616.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg.d69b34ae5de90a7786f458bf1dd3722d.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg.e1606ff3f22009a8b2cc6a6c26d34d11.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg.eb13b4d34c692b42d0b8ef6d390b2a16.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg.72b1b7aebb24b04ccd7addcb15862db7.jpg

Very good Matt! Some really attractive boards there.

Couple of (hopefully!) constructive observations - you might want bigger fans as I've found the desk fans to be a little underpowered. Additionally, with the Wykabor, you need not remove the bar. I just leave it on and use it as epic kindling when it comes out!

Nice to see some pics of the setup!

Jonathan

tidy operation!

got to get our mill back in business soon and crack through a pile of oak.

what will you use the hornbeam for do you think?

Thank you.

Hornbeam... I don't know yet. Well I sort of do, but I don't know how it will come out.

I've never cut it before, it just looked so nice & twisty and shapeful that I wanted to cut some. When I statred cutting it I was seeing some great grain , and loads of ripple & quilting - including a dragons head, which if this dries well, I may have found the bit of wood i was looking for for a guitar body..

Very good Matt! Some really attractive boards there.

Couple of (hopefully!) constructive observations - you might want bigger fans as I've found the desk fans to be a little underpowered. Additionally, with the Wykabor, you need not remove the bar. I just leave it on and use it as epic kindling when it comes out!

Nice to see some pics of the setup!

Jonathan

J - criticisms are always welcome; as Ive only ever done things how i 'think' is right.

Really, I had to de-bark. Some of that wood (holm) and one bit of english - was crawling! - so I went the whole hog.

Desk fans not enough? Those two are really pushing some air. I thought it might be too much movement - they cross each other and blow through both middles of the stacks, and behind them at the walls. Am I really looking for more movement than that?