Is this Business idea feasible?

tree_boy

Hi everyone, im new to the site. I joined because im trying to get into this area of work. I work in construction already and I was thinking of setting up my own business at the weekends doing small stuff like brush clearing, hedge trimming and small tree removal (IE trees that dont require climbing). Then get a job with a firm and train up then gradually expand my business. Do you think that kind of business idea 2 days a week would produce an alright amount of work? Ive been looking around the site and I know about qualifications, tax's, insurance all the other stuff I need to consider. Any tips or ideas i would welcome it! Thanks alot.

Edited by tree_boy

Sounds good. Start small and work your way up slowly. You may annoy some of the full time pros by undercutting them as you will have lower costs, but if you stick to smaller jobs (as you have indicated) you should be fine - and competition is good for business anyway.

Just make sure you have the basic tickets to allow you to get insurance.

Good luck!

Perhaps an umbrella policy that can cover different insurance requirements under one roof, so to speak. Continue to work hard towards securing your tickets and understand that one day you will have most everything needed in order to make the final transition from one line of work to your new line of work. All the best.

easy-lift guy

good luck, we all started somewhere-

difficult to build a business based on weekend work only as as your client list builds your waiting time would become huge.

work for family and friends wont keep you going forever.

also - whoever takes you on to train you up to be in competition with them isnt going to very happy after spending time and money on you.

I'd get a job with a firm first (or see if they need anyone to help at weekends).

That way you'll get to see if you like the job without having to spend money on equipment etc.

See how you go through the winter doing it!

If all goes well you could then look at starting your own business next year.

• 2 weeks later...