chipper hire

dalburt

hi guys

my back ground is in groundsman ship/ greenkeeping 17yrs + i have cs 30 31 but in the next month iam being made redundant and jobs are short on the ground. I was contemplating buying a chipper and hiring it out as chipper&operator is their a good market for this and is it profitable after the over heads insurance ,chipper ticket etc any comments ,views appreciated

thanks

we marketed chipper hire with op for approx six months while we ran two chippers, vans etc.

Didnt find a very large market for it, though we did generate some work from it I didnt see it as a worthwhile part of our business. and difficult to juggle alongside our main contracting as these sort of jobs often needed doing tommorow not in 6 weeks time

those domestic clients that enquire about the service were generally the sort that did it themselves to save money so this is a consideration when looking at what you require for a day rate.

also in most cases chip needed to be removed from site so is another consideration.

you may end up with a tipper, chipper and a chainsaw to process the odd branch or bit of timber.

think i worked it out that we required a min of £35/hour to break even on our running costs

I'm with Dean on this, I used to offer mine out for hire with operator, I would go and look and give a price, most of the time the branches are just dumped on the drive etc in a heap not butt first or cut propery to fit through a chipper so you gotta sort that out then whenyou go back to do the job the pile has grown. If people call up and ask about chipper hire I tell em stack it butt first on the drive and then I would go and chip it for £80 for the first hour with a minimum of 1 hour, anything under an hour is £80. If the chip has to be taken away then that's extra. Take it or leave it.

I'm with Dean on this, I used to offer mine out for hire with operator, I would go and look and give a price, most of the time the branches are just dumped on the drive etc in a heap not butt first or cut propery to fit through a chipper so you gotta sort that out then whenyou go back to do the job the pile has grown. If people call up and ask about chipper hire I tell em stack it butt first on the drive and then I would go and chip it for £80 for the first hour with a minimum of 1 hour, anything under an hour is £80. If the chip has to be taken away then that's extra. Take it or leave it.

Do you charge that just to domestic clients, or to smaller firms without a chipper as well?

Do you charge that just to domestic clients, or to smaller firms without a chipper as well?

Just domestic really mate, I know most tree surgeons in my area have chippers but if one wanted some chipping doing then I would price depending on the job, as us in the game know how to stack and process ready for chipping.