Arborist courses in North East England

arbortor

Hi, I am trying to find places that I can study aboriculture in more detail. I have my cs courses but need to study more of the science stuff as I want to head towards doing surveys etc. and also just to better my knowledge.

I've looked at the ABC awards level 2 and 4 and I would probably do fine starting at level 4, I've been told a lot about the RFS cert, but i'm really not sure which course I need to do or where for that matter, as I can't seem to find any courses in the North of England.

I work full time so evenings would be best, but could take a day off if needs be, alternatively if there are any courses that run full time for say a month or two, I could potentially go and study elsewhere in the country.

Any help would be appreciated about which courses are best to do, and any advice on where is best to go!?

Many thanks

hi, probably the level 3 diploma or level 4/5 foundation degree is for you , I know kirkley hall does the diploma and I think are starting the foundation degree again next year, and I personally wouldn't recommend the arboriculture department there. (pm me if you want to know why.) theres houffle (of however you spell it!) but im not sure if they do the foundation degree. I did me diploma at kirkly and have moved to askham bryan (york area) where you can either do it full time in 2 years 3 days a week or part time in 3 years 1 day a week, Ive only been here for a couple of weeks so far but would highly recommend how professional the college is and how modern the facilities are.

sorry its a mouthful! hope this helps!

cheers ciaran glyde

• 3 months later...

Thanks very much Ciaran, sorry for the late reply. I've been thinking i may just try and get the level 2 and the RFS for now as its been recommended by so many people, and it doesn't take as long!! I've heard a few stories about KH as well, bit of a shame as its my nearest college! Cheers

hi, probably the level 3 diploma or level 4/5 foundation degree is for you , I know kirkley hall does the diploma and I think are starting the foundation degree again next year, and I personally wouldn't recommend the arboriculture department there. (pm me if you want to know why.) theres houffle (of however you spell it!) but im not sure if they do the foundation degree. I did me diploma at kirkly and have moved to askham bryan (york area) where you can either do it full time in 2 years 3 days a week or part time in 3 years 1 day a week, Ive only been here for a couple of weeks so far but would highly recommend how professional the college is and how modern the facilities are.

sorry its a mouthful! hope this helps!

cheers ciaran glyde

i enquired about the 3 year part time course, the guy on the phone said due to fee's going up etc it'd cost 14k for the part time course :thumbdown: needless to say i haven't phoned back.... its a shame as i wanted to do a course.... either the rfs or isa route now....

Swinny, i'm on my final year of the foundation degree at askham bryan. The part time lads pay per module and it doesn't add up to 14k at all.

Hmmm, it was some kind of course leading person that told me that... wish i'd have kept his name rather than screwing the piece of paper up and putting it in the bin.....

do you know what sort of price, the guy could have been having an off day lol :thumbdown: