Running a 357 on aspen

andy_mac

Have got in late this morning as went to pick the saw up after repair. Seems that yes changing to Aspen may have meant I needed to alter the settings slightly but it seems the main issue was the chain and bar!

I didn’t think about it at the time but as well as switching over to Aspen I was trying out the free Oregon power sharp bar and chain I was sent to trial. Although the bar and chain were the correct ones for my saw it seems the saw was struggling to drive the chain.

I have only had this saw for a couple of months and put about 20 tanks of normal pump fuel 2 stroke mix through it.

I havent been put off useing Aspen and the fault rests with me as if I had looked into things better it would have been clear about potentially having to alter the settings

I really do appreciate all your replies.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Ok, have now tried the saw on Aspen with the original bar and chain and played with the carb settings.

Put a few tankfulls of 2T through and it was perfect!

I'm now a convert, thank you for all your help.

Only thing is - can you make it cheaper!!!

Only joking as now dont fear leaving fuel in the saw at the end of the day when i know it wont be used again for a week or so. Peace of mind is worth the price you pay for Aspen.

regards

One interesting thing on this and other 'fuelly' threads that I have noticed (i'm clever like that!) is some peoples reluctance to leave fuel in saws when they may not get used for a bit, and the overall feeling that unleaded goes off.

When mixed for 2 stroke use is there a danger of the oil separating out over time in the tank (or can) or is it the petrol that may go off?

Never thought about emptying saws etc, and never had any noticeble problems even though some 2 stroke machines can rest for 9 months!

Am I lazy, lucky, or are you lot fretting o'er nowt?

BTW have got some Aspen on order to try.

One interesting thing on this and other 'fuelly' threads that I have noticed (i'm clever like that!) is some peoples reluctance to leave fuel in saws when they may not get used for a bit, and the overall feeling that unleaded goes off.

When mixed for 2 stroke use is there a danger of the oil separating out over time in the tank (or can) or is it the petrol that may go off?

Never thought about emptying saws etc, and never had any noticeble problems even though some 2 stroke machines can rest for 9 months!

Am I lazy, lucky, or are you lot fretting o'er nowt?

BTW have got some Aspen on order to try.

I think there are 2 separate issues, that the petrol goes 'stale' and the 2-stroke breaks down, so not giving the protection needed. :001_smile:

• 8 months later...
Hi there,

As previously mentioned, Husqvarna endorses aspen so no warranty issues what so ever.

I would start off on aspen and stay with it as it will garauntee best performance and longevity of the saw.

Enjoy,

Axel

Hate to be a pain, but do you have something similar to your letter from stihl? Thinking of getting a new saw and running it on Aspen from the off, but I'd hate to mess up several hundred quids worth of saw with nothing more than a few posts on a forum as comeback, if you dont mind.

Hate to be a pain, but do you have something similar to your letter from stihl? Thinking of getting a new saw and running it on Aspen from the off, but I'd hate to mess up several hundred quids worth of saw with nothing more than a few posts on a forum as comeback, if you dont mind.

Stihl is selling branded Alcylate fuel "MotoMix" (identical to Aspen) in other countries.

Stihl would be unlikely to have a problem with identical Aspen fuel. In fact, they would be more likely to invalidate the warranty, if you mixed your own, claiming that you had a too lean mixture.

Links to MotoMix:

USA: STIHL MotoMix® - High Performance Ethanol-Free Fuel Mix | STIHL USA

Denmark: STIHL - motorsave kdesave elsave kratryddere trimmere blseaggregater skremaskiner rengringsmaskiner plneklippere grstrimmere kompostkvrne

Germany: Spezialkraftstoff STIHL MotoMix | STIHL | ,

spezialkraftstoff_f2.jpg.6e8c5eee07b75b72ed83135663c0562c.jpg

IMG_9350x.jpg.8e860f214b2d5f93320562b62a477cc2.jpg

Edited by morten

If you'rreusing that much fuel then you could order a pallet load of 250l (around this amount) and it's free delivery so you wouldn't have to pay carriage.

And if there is no one in Cornwall you could set yourself up as a dealer and (albeit the margins are small) make a little money back to pay for the increase in fuel cost.

If storage is the issue Aspen were doing these discounted containers at £108-00 + vat

:001_smile:

are you serious- £108 for 250L fuel- thats a bargain- where do I get it.

We have about 2L of aspen left after having given it a go in a hedgecutter. No adjustments.

To run all strimmers/hedge cutters/chainsaws/blowers on aspen would cost about £80-100 per week.

Mowers etc - I think the distance from the engine means it is not so necessary.

So thats £100 for aspen or £40 for unleaded 2 stroke.

Times say 45 gives an additional cost of £1800 per year

Thats about 3 or 4 new chainsaws.

What price your health?

I don't know really, I don't know!!