harkie hiviz smock

Johny Walker

Wow I did start this thread a long time ago.

Anyway, I lost my temper, threw the Harkie in the bin and bought a Cut n Climb.

Comfier than the Harkie and slightly more waterproof. Only slightly.

Then I got hacked off with that and got a really expensive Pfanner Ventura. I was delighted with the design and comfort and it was superbly waterproof, until I removed it from the packaging and wore it the first time!

It was utterly useless and Pfanner couldn't give a toss. I was very disappointed by the jacket and extremely disappointed by Pfanners lack of customer care.

Anyway, IMO most jackets are pretty waterproof until they become contaminated by a fine film of chain oil that is inevitable due to our job.

Washing in Nikwax Techwash definitely helps and is cheaper than buying yet another jacket.

I'm now back in the Nikwax treated Cut n Climb. The Ventura is relegated to being the most expensive work jacket that stays behind the truck seat and makes me sick every time I see it.

I bought the SIP KIEU at the APF

So far it's pretty good, and the underarm vents are a nice touch.

Cheapest one of the lot too.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm tempted to try the Arbortec breathdry hi viz smock but I can't quite bring myself to cough up the £120 for one until I've read a reliable review from someone who has worked a soaking wet week in it. Looks like a really well thought out jacket though if it works. Cheaper than wrecking a really good hardshell from Arc'Teryx too, probably the only truly waterproof jacket you'll ever find.

Well, I've just bought a subby one of these Arbortec smocks. It is well finished, heavy yet supple 3 ply fabric with water resistant zips, underarm pit zips and looks far too good to use climbing. If it does what is says on the box then I'll treat myself to a wicked Lime Green one.

Ty

• Like 1