firewood processor

yebaws

I'm looking for a processor to cut and split my wood and would be grateful for any advice....

This site keeps coming up in Googles so it seem like a good place to start. I didn't realise that there were so many firewood fanatics out there!

- I don't have 3 phase or a tractor so it has to be able to run off single phase (which is probably not feasible) or have it's own engine

- I'm cutting logs to 50 cm lengths (from 3m logs) diameter up to 30cm, mostly spruce, pine and larch and hope to be able to operate the processor single handed.

- I need to be able to tow it behind a smallish 4 x 4

Currently I use saw and vertical 6T electric splitter, but I'd like to save some time. I process about 40T a year.

I'm inclined to go for a circular saw model as I don't want to spend my whole time sharpening chains (as I do at the moment) but I'm guessing that this will up the cost a fair bit?

Any advise on models and where to buy would be appreciated. Also what my likely budget is going to be (will consider new or used)

Thanks!

I would say you might struggle on a small, petrol, towable circular saw type processor. for the sort of volumes you are looking to process, I'd have a look at somethign liek a hakki pilke eagle or japa 100 sawbench with corkscrew splitter, go for a petrol one and either make up a trailer or drag it onto a traielr for moving it.

I would say you might struggle on a small, petrol, towable circular saw type processor. for the sort of volumes you are looking to process, I'd have a look at something liek a hakki pilke eagle or japa 100 sawbench with corkscrew splitter, go for a petrol one and either make up a trailer or drag it onto a trailer for moving it.

Yes, I you may be right and I'll need to go for a chain. I don't think something like the Pilke would save me enough time over my current saw / splitter setup to be worth the cost - picking up the log after cutting and then using the cone to make a single split doesn't look too efficient.

I was thinking more along the lines of the Pilke 2x s+carry, but I have no idea what this would cost as all the websites are "call for price". Any ideas what these cost new, or used?

Budget wise....It really depends on what I can get for my money. This is to run a log fired boiler. I reckon I'm saving £6000+ a year on the cost of oil, so I'd be prepared to put that into something that could save me a good number of hours. But maybe I'm in cloud cuckoo land.....

Location: Highlands of Scotland, but I'll travel a little for a good deal....

there was a neat chainsaw model on the riko stand at bently that i think would fit the bill self loading aswell so you don't have to cut the cord down plus its petrol and towable so give them a call

there advert is on the right >

Thanks, but I can't find it on their site - everything seems to be PTO or 3 phase. Do you remember the model?

Yes, I you may be right and I'll need to go for a chain. I don't think something like the Pilke would save me enough time over my current saw / splitter setup to be worth the cost - picking up the log after cutting and then using the cone to make a single split doesn't look too efficient.

I was thinking more along the lines of the Pilke 2x s+carry, but I have no idea what this would cost as all the websites are "call for price". Any ideas what these cost new, or used?

Budget wise....It really depends on what I can get for my money. This is to run a log fired boiler. I reckon I'm saving £6000+ a year on the cost of oil, so I'd be prepared to put that into something that could save me a good number of hours. But maybe I'm in cloud cuckoo land.....

Location: Highlands of Scotland, but I'll travel a little for a good deal....

Well our new 2xs+ carry gets delivered tomorrow, not cheap though!!