Entec chipper problems.

D.G.F.S.

Hi im not bein rude but i think your getting a little ahead of your self with regards to the A/S box - firstly i would check every wire and contact within the system , these chippers were quite prone to contacts breaking down or wires coming loose . secondly maybe you could get it to an auto electrician as im certain that with a multi meeter he can test the circuit . and will probably cost you alot less that a new black box

:dito::dito::dito:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you are being rude, I asked for your help and advice and that's what you are all giving me. I have looked through all the wiring previously and today, I have sprayed all joints, contacts and relays with contact spray, checked that they are all clean tight etc. Re checked the belt tensions and distance of the A/S sensor. I'm crap with electrics when it comes to circuit testing, but I will try with a auto spark when I can get hold of (and afford) one! Cheers again folks.

I assume the A/S isn't working, as in the rollers run but the machine trys to stall when chipping big lumps instead of pulsing the feed. If that is the case then you need to check that the previous owner hasn't just fitted a bypass to the A/S unit.

The following assumes it is the same as my 1999 CH25PH chipper. i.e. a grey box mounted next to the fly wheel with the pick up sensor poking out of it. The later set up is a small back box mounted remotely with a sensor on a cable

The earth connection for the forward relay (and associated latch relay) and the reverse relay run through the A/S unit. The system isn't live switched it is earth switched which makes chasing 12v for fault detection interesting.

For the rollers to run either the A/S unit has been bypassed - (short out wires B and C (switch wire and earth) on the three pin connector to the A/S unit) or the engine is running fast enough for the pick up sensor to switch the A/S unit to run.

If it isn't bypassed then it is possible the point where the rollers stop has been wound down too far. Do the rollers run at idle?

The rollers won't run at all if the A/S unit is knackered unless it has been bypassed, it is a fail safe unit.

Let me know more about the syptums, I spent a long time earlier this year fault finding on mine and replacing loads of bits so know it in side out. I've also got a full system A/S as spares.

Hi Mate, yes you're right, grey box above the flywheel. And yes to stalling when chipping large timber, I have to hit reverse then forward reverse etc, while going through big stuff. For what I can tell someone has messed with the A/S unit sensor because it was on full adjustment (roughly 4-5mm away from the flywheel) and it had sealing gunk around it. And various other bits of wire seem to be "new". The other thing is even if I disconnect the A/S multi plug the chipper will continue to chip (then stall) oh and the rollers do rotate whilst at idle.

It's been bypassed.

If you want to bring it over we can sit the two side by side and go through the electronics. I also have a full working replacement A/S grey box which could be for sale if yours is at fault. Alternatively if you are good at reading wiring diagrams and have a good few hours to spare I might be able to find the diagrams I have.

I spent hours on mine and a lot of (unnecessary) money before I found a damaged plug. When disconnected to 'bell' it out against the diagram the connection was good, when plugged back in there was a connection break. It was also intermittent depending on what bumps I had driven over.

Let me know if you want to meet up

That's a bloody great help mate, right, if you could get the wiring diagram to me that would be great. I'm not saying I'd get anywhere thought but its worth a try. It would be great if I could come by yours, but at the moment I can't really afford to come up at the moment.(my landy drinks fuel for fun). I have took several photos of the wiring but I'm using my phone so I can't post the pictures unless I do an email. Timberwolf did send me a wiring diagram but it was for the current TW35/150 which is different to mine. Thanks so much for the help so far.

The diagrams I have got are for the current range (ish) and were supplied by timberwolf but nothing has really changed. The diagrams will give you the basic idea it is then a case of interpreting them to how your machine was orignally wired as the timberwolf tech support guy said some are wired with reverse on A/S and some will run in reverse at low revs. The system is dead simple, give me a ring tomorrow if you want me to talk you through it. Also drop me an email on [email protected] and I will send you what I have got. I'm in the workshop most of tomorrow.

Kev

• 6 years later...