Work in Dortmund, Cologne, Bochum or Dusseldorf

lx1983

This is a more specific repost, which will 'hopefully' yield some more replies. I'm moving to Gevelsberg, which is central to these cities, and am looking for any reccommendations for work. Having emailed a number of companies with my CV now with little to no feedback, i'm looking here for any help possible. I have just spent a couple of days there looking for work in the area and was suprised to find how little people seemed to know about tree surgery and climbing work, sometimes greeted with a look of disbelief when asking about 'baumflege' and 'baum seilklettertechnik', maybe I was just asking in completely the wrong places. I do have some smaller tree surgery outfits looking for work in and around gevelsberg, but was wondering if anyone knew any bigger companies that might be looking for arborists?

I'm living just north of Dusseldorf at the moment.

I'd also recommend you get yourself onto a website called Toytown Germany - English language news and chat which is basically a forum for English speaking ex-pats. There is a part of the site for small ads and life in NRW, so you should be able to stick a post on there offering English-speaking tree / gardening work.

Have you also thought about contacting the English speaking schools in the area? There is an International School in Kaiserswerth with about 600 pupils, 60-70% of which are American or Brits (and hence tend not to speak much German and consequently be wary about getting ripped off).

There are also international schools in Neuss, Essen (I think) and Duisburg. The school in Duisburg, called St. George's, is just moving to a new site which is being built / redeveloped. Last time I drove past it looked like there might be scope for some work. (But generally on the schools point, I was thinking more about using them as a place where you could advertise).

I suspect if you could get over the initial hurdle of getting a good reputation, you wouldn't be short of work around here, although a lower proportion of the housing stock is houses with gardens, much more oriented towards flats.

Hope this helps!