Big chunks fallen off an Oak and a Beech

Stereo

Question

I have a couple trees on my land which have recently lost a big part of themselves. The first is a pretty old beech which is a wonderful old tree. The limb which came off was one I used to sit on as a child. It's split away from the body of the tree leaving a large wound.

The second is a youngish Oak (maybe 20cm dia). It's like it was hit by lightning but I think it's just a weakness in the tree. A whole 'side' of the tree fell off, again leaving a large wound.

I've noticed at Dartington that they paint such wounds with some sort of black gunk. Are these trees doomed? The oak could be logged without too much discussion as it's not a landmark. The beech is something else. It's one of 'those' trees which you feel you have no right to be messing with. A piece of history. Maybe I should take some pics next time I take the dogs out and post them up somehow.

Usually painting wounds seals in bacteria and creates a nice warm damp enviroment for them to carry on doing what they do!a bit like when you leave a plaster on for to long! Anti fungicide paint like arborex might help but Personaly I would leave well alone and let nature take it's course, the big beech maybe worth reducing if you want to retain and help prevent further limb loss opening up more stem heart wood.

The beech needs to be inspected by an arboriculturist if there are significant targets.

Regarding the oak though, the dry spring we had this year has led to a fair few cases of summer branch drop in oaks. It's a defence system they have when under water stress.

I have a couple trees on my land which have recently lost a big part of themselves. The first is a pretty old beech which is a wonderful old tree. The limb which came off was one I used to sit on as a child. It's split away from the body of the tree leaving a large wound.

The second is a youngish Oak (maybe 20cm dia). It's like it was hit by lightning but I think it's just a weakness in the tree. A whole 'side' of the tree fell off, again leaving a large wound.

I've noticed at Dartington that they paint such wounds with some sort of black gunk. Are these trees doomed? The oak could be logged without too much discussion as it's not a landmark. The beech is something else. It's one of 'those' trees which you feel you have no right to be messing with. A piece of history. Maybe I should take some pics next time I take the dogs out and post them up somehow.

where in the world are you stereo