Grifola frondosa.

David oakman

• 2 weeks later...

David,

Do you have any experience of grifola on sweet chestnut. On a site where we are doing work to almost all the other trees, one S.C has a single small cluster 35cm acrosss on the tension side on one of the buttresses. Ive got it down as one to monitor as it has has had a fair few limbs removed previously - any decay characteristic advice is welcome kind sir!

Thanks

Mark

Interesting Mark, though I have not come across Grifola on Sweet chestnut myself.

I've read that it does associate with Sc and I believe maple, hornbeam, birch, elm and beech as well as it's usual host of oak (Ryvarden & Gilbertson)

They also mention that it can be found with conifer also.

Heinz Butin suggests that the Sc association is a Southern European one.

Where abouts is yours?

The FRDBI data base also lists it with sorbus, hawthorn, hazel & ash.

It manifests itself as a white rot in the upper root zone and lower stem and mostly noted in various texts as fruiting at ground level but I've come across it fruiting up on the trunk a number of times.

Tony put up an interesting thread on Grifola a couple of years back, worth a look.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/fungi-pictures/33528-grifola-frondosa-assessment-thermo-twist.html

Thanks David,

The site is on the Northern fringe of Exmoor, close to the sea. An oak was removed within 20ft years ago which had been killed but the owners naturally didnt know much about the cause of its demise.

It may have been involved in the death of the oak and now is having a go at the chestnut, perhaps even having trouble getting a foothold, hence the small pocket of fruiting bodies. Famous last words.....! I will have a better look, sound, prod when we go back.

Cheers

M

• 1 month later...

I've looked at two Oaks recently that showed signs of decline in the crown - slight dieback of the branches and sparse foliage compared to neighbouring trees.

On closer inspection both had Grifola fruiting bodies at the base of the trunk, so am recommending that the crowns be reduced to remove the dieback, and lessen windsail effect.

From reading this excellent thread the Grifola is a deep root decaying fungus, yet both of my trees were showing signs of decline. Did the oaks looked at in other areas in this thread have crowns in decline as well?

Al.

• 10 months later...
I've looked at two Oaks recently that showed signs of decline in the crown - slight dieback of the branches and sparse foliage compared to neighbouring trees.

On closer inspection both had Grifola fruiting bodies at the base of the trunk, so am recommending that the crowns be reduced to remove the dieback, and lessen windsail effect......

Al.

Hi Al

did you carry out the reductions?

If so (or not) how are they this year?