Rotted/diseased apple tree trunk...any solution

blue_eyes777

Question

Hi all!

New to the forums!

I have a 5 year old apple tree with a rotting looking bottom trunk.

I noticed a couple of months ago - thought it was squirrel damage and covered it up.

I enclose photos. It fruited well this year - a heavy cropper.

Any idea what the problem is? Any solutions?

Yours in hope - love this tree .

P1030360.jpg.360b1143f5c57b7564a99b66b737f7a1.jpg

P1030357.jpg.48dcee931a3fe0aef42f741303f0f33d.jpg

P1030356.jpg.c97e865853db3d2348083af86418bf80.jpg

P1030355.jpg.a3ea5d58e9d6bc5ed9e54ef5fbeb6c23.jpg

P1030352.jpg.7be3553b71b9a212e8c3810c16e2bb71.jpg

Hard to see from the photos, but I'd ask whether its been damaged by a strimmer, or repeatedly bumped with a mower? If so and without better pics I'd say leave well alone and be careful to avoid more damage. Maybe a woodchip mulch a few feet around the base after carefully removing the grass would help discourage it?

May well have some fungi in there, don't know what though. If the tree appears healthy it may well live. How long have you known the tree, the damage looks a few years old? Best not to cover it with anything, damp conditions may not help it. Also don't pile mulch right up to the trunk, or too thick a layer. Latest British Standard suggests 80-100mm thick. Clearer photos, or someone else, may help...

Please don't paint the trunk, no good will come of it! The mulch will help the soil condition and keep grass away= no crass cutting damage. A plastic 'tree shelter' or guard will also give protection, also from rabbits, if you have them about. Just make sure its not constrictng the stem

Bad news- I'm fairly convinced that will be historical lawnmower damage. It doesn't take much to damage the bark, even a slight knock will do it - although you might have some minor infection exacerbating the situation.

Good news - Its a young tree and will probably be fine. there's good callus tissue there and annual growth will seal those wounds up in no time. Mulching will help by reducing competition from the lawn for water and nutrients, allowing worms etc to decompact the soil and by reducing the likelihood that you'll accidentally bash it with the mower again! Don't bother painting it with anything - wound paints can cause more problems than they solve.