What's on your bench today?

spudulike

It was a type of self tapping screw, the early crankcase was only drilled but not tapped, it was very important that you turned the screw gently backwards until it drops into the original thread, then tighten as normal, if not it will try to make another thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, adw said:

Screw.PNG

Thanks, so the part @spudulike pointed out is no longer current but the part I ordered should be correct but isn't available, the parts that arrived are the standard machine screw for the later 346 and the too large screws are the handle mounts which I had forgotten I ordered. I'll just have to wait and see what arrives when they are back infrom Husqvarna.

24 minutes ago, adw said:

I may have one all be it slightly too long if you don’t manage to get one, I am sure you can shorten it.

Thanks but the screws arrived today, the new version has a slight flange, to give a better bearing surface I suppose, so I shall replace the other two with them also.

Saw starts and runs fine and without altering the HI needle it was reaching 13k rpm, so I have backed it off to 12500.

I cannot see why it seized as carburation is stable but I have nothing to cut at home so testing will have to wait till I have some work.

The rebuilt Jonsered  920 is also fixed after fun and games with a broken recoil spring. The Tillotson carburettor was pretty contaminated with fine sawdust both on the engine side of the diaphragm and under the metering chamber  preventing full needle valve opening. It runs fine now but I have set HI idle to 8900 rpm, it sounds too flat but safer for a while. I have to gently ease it over compression and can then only drop start it in the absence of a wimp button. The lady apparently does not want it back. It is too big a saw for everyday use.

She now has a Husky 550 so it will be interesting to try the 346 against that.

I now have far too many motor saws, 13 at the last count including 3 brushcutters , the 346 is the youngest by about 20 years.

• 1 month later...