What's on your bench today?

spudulike

1 hour ago, adw said:

That’s what you get with those crappy Chinese clips, never seen it on Mahle clips

Re. chinese clips- yep, its a true story, only safe place for them is in the bin.

But its still accurate to say that any extra material (ears) attached to the useful bit of circlip effectively derates the useful bit - cant be any other way.

The full circlip is more effort to fit, yes, but in all other respects its a better solution. 

Old Countax K15 ride on mower with spark issues.

Am I right in thinking that the magnetised and fast spinning fly wheel on a Briggs and Stratton engine and a working (tested) coil/magneto with the correct air gap and a disconnected stop wire should be all that’s required to produce a spark?

I’ve also cleaned off the coil mountings as well as the aluminium posts that the coil mounts on. The small indent section is showing strong magnetism.

I’ve tested the coil which supposedly has the correct readings, set the air gap with feeler gauges, disconnected the kill wire (to ensure faulty wiring/stop switches elsewhere aren’t interfering with it) and attached a new spark plug and am still getting zero sparks.

Am I being stupid and missed something? All suggestions gratefully tried[emoji1303]IMG_1621423394.502510.thumb.jpg.c874ffd82027bb7d336cd82296e72368.jpg

IMG_1621423991.463765.thumb.jpg.1474d0e649d147baaa2ffc60cc0c580a.jpgIMG_1621424042.766305.thumb.jpg.9fd0e1246e88a796d7927a7b10056779.jpg

You can test the coil all you like, but if it does not give a spark with the earth cut out wire disconnected then the unit is shot, replace with new before you waste any more time on it.

Thanks for that.
I did order one yesterday as I can’t see what else it could have been. Hopefully it’s the right one as I couldn’t find a definite one for 15 HP Vanguard engines. Engine code impossible to decipher.

On 15/05/2021 at 11:54, openspaceman said:

Trouble is L&S whilst being amazingly quick at delivering the missing nuts and screws have sent plain M5 25mm Allen screws 725 53 33 55 for the cylinder but the motor uses the coarse 5mm allen screws with the strange open thread form which a bit of research shows are 503 21 55-25 and these are not available. I ordered two but only need one. As a result I haven't tried the saw yet. Not the dispatch department's fault as on their exploded parts diagram only the standard M5 screw is shown.

Well the screws arrived from L&S and the 503 21 55-25 are too large diameter, this is a bit frustrating @adw do you know what is the correct cylinder base machine screw for the early Husky 346xp? One was missing from the box of bits and the ones that were there are 25mm  by 5mm but with a coarse thread and cap head.

2 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Well the screws arrived from L&S and the 503 21 55-25 are too large diameter, this is a bit frustrating @adw do you know what is the correct cylinder base machine screw for the early Husky 346xp? One was missing from the box of bits and the ones that were there are 25mm  by 5mm but with a coarse thread and cap head.

503 21 74-25  is the correct part no!