What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Cheers for that, would you say it's also really stiff compared to your other saws? Maybe I've gotten weak in lockdown but I can see my hand cramping up if I were to put the brake on and off a couple dozen times while also clambering round a tree.

A new genuine spring is only £2.70 so I think I might stick one on the next order just to compare it to what's fitted, I could replace the nylon block with a nylon washer too if that doesn't get me anywhere.

Now you mention it, it is a bit stiffer than say a 200T but nothing that my shovel hands couldn’t cope with.
Sound like yours may be worse than mine. Hopefully a new spring might sort it.
Where do you order your parts from?
Skyland Equipment did well sourcing parts for the 350 a while back but I think they struggled.
Just ordered some 620sx parts from Motoruf but no sign of them yet.

The felling cushion was fitted to three models, the 444 the 154 and the 162, normally had heated handles as well and were FG machines, there was a test machine a 181 with a much larger bag for the fire brigade but I guess it did no catch on, the biggest issues is always the pipe blocking with carbon if the felling cushion was not used.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Now you mention it, it is a bit stiffer than say a 200T but nothing that my shovel hands couldn’t cope with.
Sound like yours may be worse than mine. Hopefully a new spring might sort it.
Where do you order your parts from?
Skyland Equipment did well sourcing parts for the 350 a while back but I think they struggled.
Just ordered some 620sx parts from Motoruf but no sign of them yet.

Most bits my local echo dealer got in for me, a couple of other bits I ordered from eBay in other countries and I think Mowers plus.

When I start full time arb work I'll probably need a new ground saw to replace my cheapie, always fancied a 550xp but thinking the Echo 501SX could be a good shout too as I have a dealer on my doorstep. It's only the parts availability letting them down compared to Stihl/Husky I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adw said:

The felling cushion was fitted to three models, the 444 the 154 and the 162, normally had heated handles as well and were FG machines, there was a test machine a 181 with a much larger bag for the fire brigade but I guess it did no catch on, the biggest issues is always the pipe blocking with carbon if the felling cushion was not used.

interesting ... this one has a heated handle there is a switch next to the cutout and I can see wires running up behind the handles plastic cover.

I need to get a new fuel cap as the rubber seal isn't present. Compression feels good and she sparks. I'll clean up the carb and see where we go from there.

• Like 1

The early 162fg had a breather fuel cap, unlike the later machine which was solid, the early small oil cap is no longer available, has the owner got the bag for it? there were two different sizes of bag but again thet are also no longer available

My old stihl 026 cuts out quite often when left to idle, like 2 secs after putting it down as if it’s been switched off, and if it doesn’t cut out then it will invariably die as soon as you try to put revs back on it!
It always starts again with a pull or two.
Not the end of the world but a tad annoying.
I’d appreciate any thoughtsIMG_6934.jpg