What's on your bench today?

spudulike

20 hours ago, spudulike said:

I got that puller from Husqvarna 

I think it’s a 346xp one

shes back together and running although the carb seems a bit temperamental going between a high idle and very low idle when returning from full throttle 

is this a common issue with these carbs?

Not really, I haven't had much of an issue with these carbs - it is worth making sure the part of the rubber inlet manifold is inserted correctly in to the slots either side of the throttle valve.

You may also like to check the coil to flywheel gap. The coil is a bit weird in that the bottom two parts of the coil sit the typical distance from the coil and the top part sits a few mm away from the flywheel - make sure this is correct as if incorrect, the coil will keep kicking in to different advance settings cocking up the idle - I have seen this before - the first part of the coil advance is very low advance and can cause backfiring on starting but does give easy starting characteristics and then it flips up to normal advance, probably 20-30 degrees. Get the gap wrong and it bounces between the two giving varying idle!

• Like 1

Just read this again....check the low speed setting on the carb, if the saw loads up a bit under full throttle, when the throttle is snapped shut, it can give the saw more fuel than it can deal with so the idle plummets then picks up.

Make sure the H speed is set to around 13Krpm and the low speed isn't set too rich......and make sure the air filter is fully cleaned!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommy_B said:

Hi @spudulike, Husky 560 xpg, using it today and the top cover was incredibly hot, felt as hot as the heated handles do when on, had a look up the tree but couldn't see anything. Is this a common one?

Go for the High top filter and cover with vents in from a 562 .

• Like 1

Difficult to say as I usually test the saws for a few minutes rather than for a time where they get damn hot. I would check the spark plug is a good colour (tan) rather than white or graphite grey. It is possible you have an issue but without plugging it in to the AT interface, you won't be able to see the carb settings to see if they are correcting for an issue such as an air leak.

These AT saws do a good job of correcting running issues to the point they pop! It may be a carb issue or fuel line/fuel filter or it may just be hot weather.....I can't say without looking at it.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Just read this again....check the low speed setting on the carb, if the saw loads up a bit under full throttle, when the throttle is snapped shut, it can give the saw more fuel than it can deal with so the idle plummets then picks up.

Make sure the H speed is set to around 13Krpm and the low speed isn't set too rich......and make sure the air filter is fully cleaned!

Great info there particularly on the coil gap 

its gapped correctly as described to 0.3mm

There is an aftermarket coil in it so I might switch it with an oem one just to check 

17 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Difficult to say as I usually test the saws for a few minutes rather than for a time where they get damn hot. I would check the spark plug is a good colour (tan) rather than white or graphite grey. It is possible you have an issue but without plugging it in to the AT interface, you won't be able to see the carb settings to see if they are correcting for an issue such as an air leak.

These AT saws do a good job of correcting running issues to the point they pop! It may be a carb issue or fuel line/fuel filter or it may just be hot weather.....I can't say without looking at it.

Probably time for it to come in to see you!