What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Hi All sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I’m new to the forum been looking on for a while. Using saws is more of a hobby for me rather than my bread and butter and looking for some advice on my ms241 

Is there a better set up chain/bar/sprocket than the standard .325 RS It’s running on 14 but do love the 15 bar I used to use on a ms261.  If so what’s the best set up for my ms241 to get the most out of it with out muffle or porting mods. 

Standard sprocket is spur would it be worth changing to a rim for example? Wouldn’t mind replicating the 15inc set up of a 261 if beneficial.

many thanks Dan

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/10/2019 at 07:20, mapletreedan said:

Hi All sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I’m new to the forum been looking on for a while. Using saws is more of a hobby for me rather than my bread and butter and looking for some advice on my ms241 

Is there a better set up chain/bar/sprocket than the standard .325 RS It’s running on 14 but do love the 15 bar I used to use on a ms261.  If so what’s the best set up for my ms241 to get the most out of it with out muffle or porting mods. 

Standard sprocket is spur would it be worth changing to a rim for example? Wouldn’t mind replicating the 15inc set up of a 261 if beneficial.

many thanks Dan

STIHL ps-63 chain , bar (12-16”) and 7pin rim sprocket ; those saws are little rippers when modded !  Here’s a few videos of them in operation 

;

Edited by Yngwie

• 5 weeks later...

Got to love this repairing gig - here are some more gripes apart from crappy dirty machines in dangerous condition -

1. Saws being sent in via courier with just a bin liner wrapped round the saw for protection.....you know who you are!!!
  2. I fix a saw in 1-2 weeks and then find the owner hasn't got the £££ to pay so I then wait weeks for him to save up whilst his saws fill my workshop.

Think I will go back on holiday.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/11/2019 at 19:50, spudulike said:

Got to love this repairing gig - here are some more gripes apart from crappy dirty machines in dangerous condition -

1. Saws being sent in via courier with just a bin liner wrapped round the saw for protection.....you know who you are!!!
  2. I fix a saw in 1-2 weeks and then find the owner hasn't got the £££ to pay so I then wait weeks for him to save up whilst his saws fill my workshop.

Think I will go back on holiday.

I can certainly relate to that, especially at this time of the year! Have had machines sitting in the workshop for 4 plus months, they will be soon be sold to recover costs, it will be interesting to see the outcome :)

Hence why im changing our terms in the new year.

I charged for a re-pack on the bin bag job and did get paid on both my non paid saws....in the end.

In one case, it wasn't the money, it was the fact he pleaded he needed the saw, would definitely pay the bill the next day and like a mug, sent the bloody thing back, 6 weeks later I asked for the new cylinder kit on his machine to be returned as it was my property....he got the message in the end!!

• Like 1

Has anyone worked on a Stihl FR480C knapsack strimmer. I have one on my bench and wondered if the recoil start from another machine would fit?

The electro start battery is profoundly flat but I can spin it with a drill. The choke is solenoid operated from the electro start battery I think.

The other obvious fault is the purge/primer bulb is split. I'd like to get it basically running before committing the owner to any expense so I can take the bulb out of circuit, dribble some fuel down the carb after I check for spark with a drill. Are there any other problems or gotchas with this machine?

Edited by openspaceman
Added initial

I am beginning to see quite a lot of MS200Ts in with cheap Chinese top ends. What's the difference - the Chinese ones look to be in OK condition but pull around 130psi and don't run well. A decent Stihl kit will pull 150psi when well worn, 170psi on a relatively fresh engine and have seen 220psi on a ported new OEM Stihl cylinder kit.

The difference is the torque and cut speed in larger cuts, it is very noticeable.

It is simple to tell the difference between the kits, the Chinese ones tend to have no markings on the cylinder transfer mouldings, the Stihl ones will have part codes and manufacturers name on them.

• Like 1

Has anyone worked on a Stihl FR480C knapsack strimmer. I have one on my bench and wondered if the recoil start from another machine would fit?

The electro start battery is profoundly flat but I can spin it with a drill. The choke is solenoid operated from the electro start battery I think.

The other obvious fault is the purge/primer bulb is split. I'd like to get it basically running before committing the owner to any expense so I can take the bulb out of circuit, dribble some fuel down the carb after I check for spark with a drill. Are there any other problems or gotchas with this machine?

I’ve got a couple that I want to get back in use. Mine have sheared their flexible drives, and Stihl prices have made me pause.