What's on your bench today?

spudulike

First up, Poulan leaf blower which someone bought at a yard sale as allegedly "working". Well the fuel line has more holes than the Titanic and the fuel is ancient. Flush the tank, new hose, carb through the ultrasonic cleaner and job done.

Next up a 070 of mine which needed the sprocket changing. I found the clutch shoes had lost all their linings, so new clutch shoes and springs also. I have heard of people using the 070/090 saws with the clutches missing their linings, however, in big wood the clutch will not be able to adequately transfer the torque from the engine to the clutch drum, IMO.

What cleaning agent do you use in your ultrasonic cleaner for carbs? I've tried some mild enzyme based stuff but it didnt seem to do a lot.

What cleaning agent do you use in your ultrasonic cleaner for carbs? I've tried some mild enzyme based stuff but it didnt seem to do a lot.

I use pure white spirit (mineral spirits) for carbs. Clean the carb by hand with rag etc first though. Depending how dirty the solution is after being in the USC I either re-use it on other carbs or on dirtier parts.

Also after a few cycles allow the solution to cool. Even if your USC isn't heated the ultrasonic vibrations heat it up and you don't want a fire!

Nearly finished this one at last - been a right old pig of a job - piston ring location pin had come loose and damaged the piston and bore but it was still running. Also found a severely distorted pumping gasket in the carb and a buggered throttle cable:001_rolleyes:

Husky 254XP is running - just needs final warm up and tune.

P1030565.jpg.32ccbfef828979d69f485f000e8225b4.jpg

P1030564.jpg.2e5dbd8059ac37655e6bbccf93e69d07.jpg

I use pure white spirit (mineral spirits) for carbs. Clean the carb by hand with rag etc first though. Depending how dirty the solution is after being in the USC I either re-use it on other carbs or on dirtier parts.

Also after a few cycles allow the solution to cool. Even if your USC isn't heated the ultrasonic vibrations heat it up and you don't want a fire!

Many thanks.

Here we go - a big un - MS880 - heat seized, spark plug looked clean and white - no colour so probably carb setting or air leak. The bore is cleaned in the last photo - all the aluminium transfer has been removed, the bore lightly cleaned with wet and dry.

There are some light scores in the bore and a slight ding in the top part of the exhaust port but will run fine once done. Looks a bit cleaner than before:thumbup:

Will pressure check and set the carb to fatten up the mix at the top end for the next few months until the new piston is bedded in.

P1030573.jpg.7b92f7547111324fcec2b32ea3f984a7.jpg

P1030569.jpg.91ae5535080ae3cae4f4dd7a139dfbdf.jpg

P1030567.jpg.ce787803dc9bc7d9b3f05e35edcc5b49.jpg

Here we go - a big un - MS880 - heat seized, spark plug looked clean and white - no colour so probably carb setting or air leak. The bore is cleaned in the last photo - all the aluminium transfer has been removed, the bore lightly cleaned with wet and dry.

There are some light scores in the bore and a slight ding in the top part of the exhaust port but will run fine once done. Looks a bit cleaner than before:thumbup:

Will pressure check and set the carb to fatten up the mix at the top end for the next few months until the new piston is bedded in.

is that a fairly new saw ??

is that a fairly new saw ??

It's not my saw, it is another members - year - 2007, he got it secondhand and it had a bit of a life and he cleaned it up but to be honest, it looks in good condition - little paint wear on front and underneath, clean plastic and carb etc.

He is a lucky man as there are no MS880 aftermarket kits, even the piston on its own is £110 so to have the bore clean up like this saved a £400 OEM P&C kit:thumbup:

It will run again and will post the final compression after a bit of a run! Will make sure it doesn't go bang again which is equally as important as a good clean bore.

One very big saw:thumbup1:

Looking good Steve

Woodpicker - as spud says it's only a 2007 saw, I bought it second hand, not sure what it had been used for but there was plenty of tar/gunk coating most of external areas and inside the chain cover, it hadn't been looked after, not sure how used to using saws the previous owner was. I used it on a couple of jobs before it let me down, couldn't risk it recently so bit the bullet and bought a new one from Jonsie, so once this one has had some 'spud love' it'll be for sale ;-)