What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Just recased a stihl ms170 using a new el-cheapo chinky chong case. To my amazement everything went well and fitted. Went to pull it over and notchy and graunchy....

Turns out the case holes are about 1.5mm out for the starter cover and the pully that engages over the flywheel was off centre and catching..

Scratched my head a while pondering how to sort this out, then the solution hit. Pull the stihl badge off the centre of the starter cover (hole in centre that goes down thru the pully and cover) and drop a 2mm drill bit down there and line it up with the centre of the crank.

Chemical metal up the pre drilled holes and redrilled new ones in the correct place...

Saws running and oiling so job done!

On to another 210 which I cleaned up last night and had soft fuel line issue so replaced it there and then as had one on the bench and carb clean but as it was nearly midnight put it away until the ms170 was sorted. Went to see if it would start today and distint lack of compression so put the tester on 90psi..

Another clamshell rebuild, that's the second this week.

Here we go, the big shoot out, in the red corner, a Husqvarna 357XP - ported using the normal methods listed earlier in this thread, in the blue corner, a Husqvarna 254XP giving up 5cc and a lot of age.

Standard 357XP - 4.4HP, Standard 254XP - 3.9HP....just remember, my ported 357XPs keep up with the much later 560XPs:thumbup:...............................

First vid cutting old seasoned oak, the second cutting dry poplar - the 254XP is just slower than the 357XP...by a half second!

And yes, I know,,,they are PPE shorts:lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixP6tmwp5lY]Ported Husqvarna 357XP and 254XP cutting Oak - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPEPuEftDiM]Ported Husqvarna 357XP and 254XP cutting Poplar - YouTube[/ame]

I was pleased with them, the 357XPs are tried and tested, the 254Xp were first time but a fair bit on the table and it shows in the way the saw now picks up, kind of caught me out when it picked up so fast when I first fired it up - wasn't quite expecting that:thumbup:

Will box them up and settle up over the weekend Tom. Cheers

After decades of pulling recoils on all sorts of machines with no problem, I managed to hurt myself today.

It was only a 22cc Makita hedetrimmer, but somehow I managed to pull a muscle in my upper forearm.

I am having trouble picking up my cup of tea at present and my little finger hurts like hell.

I hope its just one of those things and not a sign of things to come.

Going to have to pull left handed tomorrow (LEAVE IT!!)

After decades of pulling recoils on all sorts of machines with no problem, I managed to hurt myself today.

It was only a 22cc Makita hedetrimmer, but somehow I managed to pull a muscle in my upper forearm.

I am having trouble picking up my cup of tea at present and my little finger hurts like hell.

Funny that, I got 6 months of tennis elbow from a McCulloch strimmer once - get better soon:thumbup:

Leave what?? What you do in your own home is up to you mate. :001_tt2::lol::lol::lol:

Nothing in the workshop today. Been in a couple of meetings this morn over a new premises. And then was on a ride on for the afternoon cutting grass.

I'm feeling good a positive at the moment. And yes it's a secret until it happens. :001_tt2:

Leave what?? What you do in your own home is up to you mate. :001_tt2::lol::lol::lol:

Nothing in the workshop today. Been in a couple of meetings this morn over a new premises. And then was on a ride on for the afternoon cutting grass.

I'm feeling good a positive at the moment. And yes it's a secret until it happens. :001_tt2:

The suspense is getting to me!!!!

Seriously though, good luck with it, whatever it is. (as long as its legal)