What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Non chainsaw alert!!

Ryobi strimmer – new fuel lines, primer bulb, gaskets and dias. Zama C1U

Thought the gaskets and dias would sort the not holding pressure prob – no. The flow went in the fuel pump side and straight out the metering side – glass jar showed this up.

Problem was the metering lever height – bent it up which seated the needle and fired it up last night – tuning later tonight. How do they get so bent out of correct position?

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture6260-20130304-201042-1.jpg

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture6261-20130303-172640-1.jpg

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture6263-20130304-203651-1.jpg

Not quite spuds led zep in the modding/porting zone but I am gonna open the painfully small exhaust outlet under the shroud – gotta start somewhere!

And finally picked this Hayterette up at a boot fair at the weekend – it was getting one of these running again last year (from a pile of scrap metal) that was the equivalent of the first hit of crack cocaine for my engine addiction. Oil-less life until that point. Sold it soon after and regretted it ever since. This is early 60’s vintage – same as me – got a lovely look in my opinion. Carb clean, points clean and gap (there was no spark), rebuild the recoil and craft some tabs to keep the spring in and off she went phut phut phut – cut an acre of field – joy.

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture6262-20130302-160412-1.jpg

Just finished checking over Burrells rebuilt 372XP, pressure/vac and compression checked - all OK, thoroughly cleaned the carb and then reassembled and adjusted - all seems OK and just needs him to break.......sorry .....test it:thumbup:

Also got a small Efco topper in that just wont run - just pops a bit. Pulled the carb and cleaned it and also noticed the primer bulb was ineffective, reassembled it, refitted the fuel filter on to the fuel line and cable tied it in place - tried firing it up at 11.00pm last night and got abused by the wife about gassing the garage out and making the walls shake - it isn't even ported:001_rolleyes::lol:

From the little bit I ran it, it seems a lot better but will run it up at a more sociable hour:thumbup:

Trying desparately to get a day off and service my mower and fix a power jet washer that has no jet or wash - just pulses so probably a pressure switch in the water inlet feed!

At last I have cleared the lawnmowers that have been around the longest, nothing over 5 days old now, so started on those 2 strokes, some of which have been around for 2 weeks.

I started on the first one as the last job of the day, Its a Huskie 40 from a new customer.

"Do you repair Jonsereds?" he asked. "only I have this one that starts Ok, revs up, then dies. I've taken it to two other places and spent quite a lot on it. It is still not right"

Then he says " I've even taken it to an aircraft engineer, and he could not fix it"

So I said "if two other places have failed, and an aircraft engineer (what qualifies an aircraft engineer to be a chainsaw mechanic I really don't know) then I doubt I can fix it, but I'll have ago if you are willing to pay"

So he brings in a Huskie 40, not a Jonsered, but thats OK.

Anyway, as I say, I looked at it tonight. First, a comp test. 170psi. Cool. Then checked fuel hose by pressurising from tank end. OK. Plug Good.

Started to take the carb off, found too much fuel hose between tank and carb which was bending the hose double and stopping the fuel. Not good. Stripped the carb, found very distorted diaphragms, they had not been changed in years. Checked the gauze, it was not dirty, it just was not there at all.

New diaphragms, new gauze, refitted with nicely routed hose and now it runs a dream.

I learnt a valuable lesson though. I am never going to fly again.:biggrin:

At last I have cleared the lawnmowers that have been around the longest, nothing over 5 days old now, so started on those 2 strokes, some of which have been around for 2 weeks.

I started on the first one as the last job of the day, Its a Huskie 40 from a new customer.

"Do you repair Jonsereds?" he asked. "only I have this one that starts Ok, revs up, then dies. I've taken it to two other places and spent quite a lot on it. It is still not right"

Then he says " I've even taken it to an aircraft engineer, and he could not fix it"

So I said "if two other places have failed, and an aircraft engineer (what qualifies an aircraft engineer to be a chainsaw mechanic I really don't know) then I doubt I can fix it, but I'll have ago if you are willing to pay"

So he brings in a Huskie 40, not a Jonsered, but thats OK.

Anyway, as I say, I looked at it tonight. First, a comp test. 170psi. Cool. Then checked fuel hose by pressurising from tank end. OK. Plug Good.

Started to take the carb off, found too much fuel hose between tank and carb which was bending the hose double and stopping the fuel. Not good. Stripped the carb, found very distorted diaphragms, they had not been changed in years. Checked the gauze, it was not dirty, it just was not there at all.

New diaphragms, new gauze, refitted with nicely routed hose and now it runs a dream.

I learnt a valuable lesson though. I am never going to fly again.:biggrin:

Nice one Barrie - I often get "I've tried everything" to which I reply - "if you have tried the right things, it would be fixed":001_rolleyes::lol:

Martin - I think you owe me a bakery:lol:

Looks like mine, useful bit of kit for vacuum checking - always good to do both checks (pressure and vacuum) as items can leak in one direction and be sound in the other - crank seals are one!

Yep. A nice one on order. Reccomendation from earlier on in thread. Seals can leak both ways but the vacuum test must be performed first before the pressure test.

Well using the new tool today after fitting new seals to this 200t. The gauge is staying put and when the rank is turned it moves up and then down by 2 inhg. But stays still after movement. So looks good on vac. Just need to pressure test with my old made up one.

image.jpg.7780169eb1ac64b14cd6d92ae388f90b.jpg