What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Having trouble with an Ms201T, once the throttle has been let go the saw runs on and then slowly returns back to normal idle. Couldnt find default carb settings on the net. The clutch is fine and the chain is tensioned correctly. any ideas anyone?

Probably the throttle linkage fouling or sticking, other then that it is a typical sign of the saw having an airleak on the vacuum stroke (upward stroke) of the piston so if the throttle linkages are OK then vac/pressure check.

If you can get to the side of the carb with it running, rev it to get the saw to show its symptoms and then close the carb fully by pushing the throttle lever closed with your fingers and see if it sorts it out:thumbup:

Dear experts, at work we have a stihl ms290 , hate the thing! Wen using it in big wood it tends to choke up and die but if using on small limbs etc it's fine. Is clutch on the way out? It still has the original size bar an chain.

sent from my office in the field via s3

Sorry spud. : lol: that is the 026. The camera on the iPad is pants, had to use a led lenser to get enough light in. The pot is clean, the marks you see are the black permanent marker I used to mark piston in pot from the ports to double check I havnt ground too much out.

After marking with the pen I slid the piston back out before pen dried and it left the marks behind it. Will try for a better shot tomoz.

You can just make out the skirt edges from the pen. :thumbup:

I can't get rid of the base gasket either as the piston slap the pot top. Done the exhaust mod aswell. Just need to replace the gasket and put it all back together.

Found a pic on Facebook.

image.jpg.b01dfcc2d44634620b65571405cfbc74.jpg

Dear experts, at work we have a stihl ms290 , hate the thing! Wen using it in big wood it tends to choke up and die but if using on small limbs etc it's fine. Is clutch on the way out? It still has the original size bar an chain.

sent from my office in the field via s3

The clutch won't make the saw bog, you will find the saw revs soaring and the chain speed slowing in the big cuts if the clutch was slipping - same as a dodgy clutch in a car! The clutch would also get very hot.

Bogging in the big cuts may be poor compression due to engine wear, overly rich mix on the H screw, weak mix on the L screw, dirt in the carb, old or split fuel line, bad fuel filter or a multitude of other things - also make sure the exhaust outlet hasn't been crushed and if a spark arrestor gauze is fitted, remove it!

I am guessing you have cleaned the air filter???:blushing::lol:

turn the top of the piston then make it a pop up :thumbup:

Was thinking about this. No lathe tho..

It will be easier to put the gasket back in or make one. The squish is 0.72mm not sure what the clearance needs to be. The piston hits the top but will continue with some pressure against it. So it only just hits the top. Could clean the top of the piston and try again.