What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Hi Spud

Is there a point at which the compression gets too high? I guess you still have to be able to pull the saw over to start it, but what about the mechanics of it all, will it blow the saw if you go too high?

There is a point where the compression is so great, the fuel vapour will start reverting to fluid and will stop the engine working properly, I have had 230psi on an old Jonsered with a domed piston crown but most saws run 150-170psi depending on their age. I would expect this saw to drop to 180psi with a little use but is still stonking for a 2002 machine:thumbup:

Just wondering why you would need to read 450psi for petrol engines?

250 psi would cope with a 17:1 compression ratio, thats an F1 sort of thing.

Just bought a shiny new Sealey one that reads to 300psi, not that I will ever need that, but it was one of few which have a 10mm adaptor for the newer C plugs.

Don't ask me ask the RAF my bro had it fall off the stores shelf and into his pocket, didn't notice til he got home. Lol

What ive just taken of my bench today was my sachs dolmar 119. ill post a couple of pics up of the work id done to her. ive just cut my teeth so to speak on this saw and now shes going sweet and cuts like a dream.:thumbup:

New parts

Piston & Rings

Oil pump

Chain tensioner

Carbkit/Tillotson

Timber Dogs

7 pin 3/8 spur sprocket

Now have a brilliant 60cc saw for £buttons. Cant wait to start my next project saw. Any ideas on a 70cc saw?

Just done my first strip down on a Stihl MS181, pending a replacement piston due to light under oiling. Would never have bothered with an 017/018 MS170/180, as they are a pain in the ar**. However as the saw is only a year old and the customer told me to scrap it due to my quote for the repair, I thought I would spend a quiet afternoon seeing what it was like compared to the earlier models. Sure- very time consuming, but a LOT easier than the old models so very pleased and new piston will be fitted as soon as it arrives. Nearly new MS181 for £25.00! Can't go wrong.

Edited by pleasant

Just done my first strip down on a Stihl MS181, pending a replacement piston due to light under oiling. Would never have bothered with an 017/018 MS170/180, as they are a pain in the ar**. However as the saw is only a year old and the customer told me to scrap it due to my quote for the repair, I thought I would spend a quiet afternoon seeing what it was like compared to the earlier models. Sure- very time consuming, but a LOT easier than the old models so very pleased and new piston will be fitted as soon as it arrives. Nearly new MS181 for £25.00! Can't go wrong.

Bargain!! I hope your customer is not an Arbtalker, cus I expect your quote was rather greater than £25.00:biggrin:

Well Not on my bench at the moment but hopefully will be very sooooon. Is my Ms200t the saw starts fine, but as soon as you open up the gas to it is very slow to get to maximum speed, while some times you have to0 back of the gas as she will just die. Once you turn her recoil up then she just die's completely...... Dont suppose any one has any ideas, im guessing carb?

Buster