What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Todays project - 026, low on compression, a glance down the plug hole, the bore looked quite clean - :confused1:

Took the exhaust off and the piston is badly scored, stripped the top end out and wow - what a load of grey sludge is on all the parts.

Someone had rebuilt this saw and it never ran well afterwards - this was before I got it.

The bore looks like it has cleaned itself as I got very little aluminium off it, the pic is the bore before cleaning.

A new piston will get it going, the crankcase needs flushing out - fortunately the aluminium is soft and fine and the bearings feel sound but will retest after cleaningl:thumbup:

Pics -

P1030704.jpg.2f5200348cf45cead20d3b17eaec39b8.jpg

P1030706.jpg.aaaf93851954402a0b4cdaeeb5866ffd.jpg

P1030707.jpg.d8e67879a306054d3cc38abd363ae6ab.jpg

P1030709.jpg.6dee041882031403c74cd0fcd6e7e7fe.jpg

P1030710.jpg.79c2ff5636a7e2a921da5b98f7d64c38.jpg

Titan 70 project completed, stripped down, new cylinder, piston etc, filter clean, big/little end lube up, reassemble and run. I may get a local service place to set it up tip top but very pleased.... my first engine rebuild ever!

Being a bit of a fussy git if there anything I can use to repaint the exhaust?

RockingDad

IMAG0219.jpg.d5d9ce8f9081e65a0ea2b25d9b010f53.jpg

IMAG0218.jpg.5c0fe8eabc301068ea8706e3ef4381bb.jpg

IMAG0187.jpg.12894eb6f372231e4ec739ca0aa21bae.jpg

Todays project - 026, low on compression, a glance down the plug hole, the bore looked quite clean - :confused1:

Took the exhaust off and the piston is badly scored, stripped the top end out and wow - what a load of grey sludge is on all the parts.

Someone had rebuilt this saw and it never ran well afterwards - this was before I got it.

The bore looks like it has cleaned itself as I got very little aluminium off it, the pic is the bore before cleaning.

A new piston will get it going, the crankcase needs flushing out - fortunately the aluminium is soft and fine and the bearings feel sound but will retest after cleaningl:thumbup:

It looks like someone tipped acid or the like in the plug hole to try to unseize it. Can't imagine where else the grey precipitate could come from?

IMO needs at least a new piston, bearings, seals, gaskets, carb kit, hoses and flywheel... If you want a saw you can rely on.

It looks like someone tipped acid or the like in the plug hole to try to unseize it. Can't imagine where else the grey precipitate could come from?

IMO needs at least a new piston, bearings, seals, gaskets, carb kit, hoses and flywheel... If you want a saw you can rely on.

I know what you mean but the saw had been seized and someone had fitted a new piston without cleaning the bore, the grey sludge is a mixture of petrol, aluminium that the new rings have worn from the bore and a little WD40 I put in the bore as the saw was dry and I wanted to measure the compression.

Bit of a mess but probably looks worse than it really is - will take a judgement on the bearings but there is no play and the crank bearings spin freely even without cleaning.

One thing - a new flywheel:confused1:what is your thinking on this?

Titan 70 project completed, stripped down, new cylinder, piston etc, filter clean, big/little end lube up, reassemble and run. I may get a local service place to set it up tip top but very pleased.... my first engine rebuild ever!

Being a bit of a fussy git if there anything I can use to repaint the exhaust?

RockingDad

Nice job - exhaust - BBQ paint or stove paint as previoiusly advised:thumbup:

I know what you mean but the saw had been seized and someone had fitted a new piston without cleaning the bore, the grey sludge is a mixture of petrol, aluminium that the new rings have worn from the bore and a little WD40 I put in the bore as the saw was dry and I wanted to measure the compression.

Bit of a mess but probably looks worse than it really is - will take a judgement on the bearings but there is no play and the crank bearings spin freely even without cleaning.

One thing - a new flywheel:confused1:what is your thinking on this?

My main worry with the crank bearings is although they may spin freely the polymer cages may have been damaged. More so with the acid theory though.

The flywheel appears to be missing at least one fin...

My main worry with the crank bearings is although they may spin freely the polymer cages may have been damaged. More so with the acid theory though.

The flywheel appears to be missing at least one fin...

Well spotted:thumbup: the saw is pretty old, in an ideal world you are spot on and fitting these parts is good advice but the saw is old and has some sentimental value and like always, am trying to meet customer expectations on cost whilst doing a repair up to a good standard. Don't think a £400 repair bill would cut it!

All I have done so far is to take the pot off, clean and inspect it, a decent clean with petrol and a spin of the crank with the coil off will show up if the bearings are a bit slack and have play - will do this before buying the piston but hopefully, if I clean it out, the saw will have an extended life without heavy cost.

A cheap way to sort the flywheel is to take metal of the opposite side of the flywheel - perhaps not in the book but should even up any imbalances! I haven't even taken the cover off yet, better have a closer look before I splash out any expense - may find other horror stories:thumbdown: