What's on your bench today?

spudulike

2 hours ago, adw said:

The 36/41 were replaced by the 136/141 and replaced by the 137/142, they were all basically the same saw but with improvements as they went on, most parts are interchangeable, the 36/41 had large crank seals housed between the cylinder and base, as the models evolved the seals became part of the bearing housing, so not interchangeable, biggest issue with this model was induction tube splitting, impulse seal splitting, crank seals blowing inside out, muffler coming loose and melting the top cover and in some cases melting through the oil tank.

You've literally described pretty much every problem I've ran into in the past with this saw apart from the crank seals! One other thing I had a lot of bother with was the oil uptake rubber and seal had solidified and started leaking. At least the pickup was well oiled!😑

Had a look at a ms230 today as well which just had a label on it with "it did tried to start". A quick inspection revealed that the coil had completely caked up and the coil gap was all off. Unfortunately it looked like the previous owner had already started robbing it for parts. So hopefully after a good clean and £20 later she'll be a runner! 

On 12/02/2022 at 16:35, spudulike said:

I would avoid using an unknown seal type as I have seen pistons stuck in the bore and have had to drill them out and pull them out with a screw! The piston spring is a low rate and if the piston is too tight, it will get stuck in one position and makes for poor performance off idle!

T'is a risk.

Care to share details of std seal, is there a part no ? I've looked on 200t parts list but no joy there. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, that 201 (up the page somewhere) isn't going to run right for a little time yet. Needs a piston that measures a bit more than 39.70mm across the skirt. Probably explains why the idle screw had to be wound in some to get it to run. Cylinder has cleaned up surpisingly well.

20220222_200535-1.jpg

2 hours ago, spudulike said:

Not nice!

No it isn't. 

I didn't spot this from the pull cord compression test,  held its own for over a minute. 

Compression test was 135 psi - low for sure but I passed it off in my mind because I had to use 10mm adapter for the gauge. 

Aw well, you win some, just not this one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to take pics but last Friday I was getting fed up with a ms230 that wouldn't start. Replaced the carb and it still was pissing out fuel. So I just stripped it down and have a look inside. Looked just fine, replaced the gaskets and off I went. Runs like a dream now! Love these old saws, complete tear down and rebuild in two and a half hours! Can't see that happening with something like a husky 562!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...