What's on your bench today?

spudulike

I have reassembled the 346 but won't attempt to start it until the 4th cylinder bolt with the various handle bolts and bar nuts arrive from L&S. I had an old chain  but as there were no markings on the bar I wonder if the bar is .058 or.050 as it is quite worn.

346a.thumb.jpeg.72cc7e6c1184e065af502d0fa76868d3.jpeg

346b.thumb.jpeg.b5c1204339380519e33cea1d93389fc2.jpeg

I'll run it for a while then decide what to do with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

I have reassembled the 346 but won't attempt to start it until the 4th cylinder bolt with the various handle bolts and bar nuts arrive from L&S. I had an old chain  but as there were no markings on the bar I wonder if the bar is .058 or.050 as it is quite worn.

346a.thumb.jpeg.72cc7e6c1184e065af502d0fa76868d3.jpeg

346b.thumb.jpeg.b5c1204339380519e33cea1d93389fc2.jpeg

I'll run it for a while then decide what to do with it.

They came as .058 as standard . I had one of those non de comp 45cc ones . Thought it was a cracking little saw . Very similar to the old 242 . Mine got stolen out of the back of the chipper .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

On 13/05/2021 at 18:43, Stubby said:

They came as .058 as standard . I had one of those non de comp 45cc ones . Thought it was a cracking little saw . Very similar to the old 242 . Mine got stolen out of the back of the chipper .

Well it all looks good and I did use this particular saw  from new, it is proper old school with a normal carburettor so I'm keen to see how it compares with the 550mk2. The newer saw has an advanced engine which should be both more economical and less polluting, as less unburnt fuel should carry over into the exhaust but I suspect this is at some cost to grunt.

Trouble is L&S whilst being amazingly quick at delivering the missing nuts and screws have sent plain M5 25mm Allen screws 725 53 33 55 for the cylinder but the motor uses the coarse 5mm allen screws with the strange open thread form which a bit of research shows are 503 21 55-25 and these are not available. I ordered two but only need one. As a result I haven't tried the saw yet. Not the dispatch department's fault as on their exploded parts diagram only the standard M5 screw is shown.

42 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Well it all looks good and I did use this particular saw  from new, it is proper old school with a normal carburettor so I'm keen to see how it compares with the 550mk2. The newer saw has an advanced engine which should be both more economical and less polluting, as less unburnt fuel should carry over into the exhaust but I suspect this is at some cost to grunt.

Trouble is L&S whilst being amazingly quick at delivering the missing nuts and screws have sent plain M5 25mm Allen screws 725 53 33 55 for the cylinder but the motor uses the coarse 5mm allen screws with the strange open thread form which a bit of research shows are 503 21 55-25 and these are not available. I ordered two but only need one. As a result I haven't tried the saw yet. Not the dispatch department's fault as on their exploded parts diagram only the standard M5 screw is shown.

I replaced the stolen one for the newer 50cc " silverside " a few years back and sent it strait to Spud for porting ( the first one he did I seem to remember , not counting his own 357 )  Anyway that is worth doing . I recon its as good as a 550 . It pulls a 15" full chisel driven by an 8 pin rim no problem . 

Edited by Stubby

Husky 346xp suddenly stopped last week, stripped cylinder off and found this. 

Some metal from I am thinking has broken off piston bearing as it has a lot of play, not pushed pin out to look yet but any other ideas. 

DSC_0149.JPG

DSC_0149.JPG

Edited by woody paul
  • Sad 2

Circlips with tails are a personal hate of mine. No good can come from a bit of unsupported wire exposed to the accelerations of the piston. Sure, easier to fit but thats no concillation right now is it.

The 357xp I stripped recently had an after market piston in it, same story, every thing is still assembled but tail missing from circlip, cylinder and piston written off. Remaining 'good' circlip was cracked from root of tail.

20210303_144023.jpg

• Like 2