What's on your bench today?

spudulike

12 hours ago, Stihl123 said:

when are you going to port 500i's Steve!?

mine will be cleaned before you get it too, as before! 🤣

I tend to take a blown up one apart and see what can be done rather than strip a near new machine down and go down that option. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Beginning to see a lot of these now, basically the heat from the MS201TC&M exhaust port keeps expanding and contracting the metal under the port until the metal cracks like this: -

IMG_20210323_134833665.jpg

Far too clean to have been sent to you Steve, is that an internet picture?

Hey guys, was just visiting a friend and saw this thread, we have one over her too. I collect saws, and my criteria is 70CC's or bigger and 28" bar and bigger. If I find something smaller that is special, I don't toss it. Like my ikle 08S my mate pulled out of a recycle bin. The one on the bench today is a McCulloch 7-10, it's 70CC's so it just made it. I got it for $20 US. It had good spark but no compression. I pulled the muffler to take a look at the piston and cylinder. The exhaust port was almost covered over with a big chunk of carbon. You could see where a chunk broke off and gouged the piston bad.  The plan is tomorrow I'll get the case sealed up and the rest of the saw back together. The bench doesn't look like this now.

K2u0wPR.jpg

yGhTgh8.jpg

RbYNlds.jpg

S7Jnugb.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, spudulike said:

Beginning to see a lot of these now, basically the heat from the MS201TC&M exhaust port keeps expanding and contracting the metal under the port until the metal cracks like this: -

There's a lesson for the design team - all failures straight down the centre of the rib I bet.

I suppose the rib was put in to relieve the stress associated with expansion 'n contraction but they've concentrated all the load on a very tight inside radius, so it work hardens and cracks. Clever and daft in equal measure.

Edited by bmp01
Correction
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I wasn't feeling too lively after my second jab, maybe coincidence as no trouble with first, so I got stuck in to some saws rather than completing the little alder bog timber extraction.

First was a Jonsered 920 from 1984, fair condition but lightly nipped up, plug was showing a bit lean. As I was ordering other stuff I just decided to buy 2 rings as the saw is a big heavy old thing and probably not the sort of thing for everyday use and I wasn't sure what caused the problem so didn't want to do a full on repair.

920ringgap.thumb.jpeg.dae00528bbeabd9c8d616582930ed515.jpeg

You can see how worn the ring was from the large ring gap compared with one of the new ones further down after I cleaned up the bore and piston lands.

I snapped the fuel pipe getting it off the carburettor so had to replace that. Hard work to pull over and the only way it would fire, just once, was with petroil sprayed in the intake. I will have to have the carburettor apart. I found it very hard to pull it over with the new compression and that plug does seem to protrude a bit far into the combustion chamber but is spins freely enough with no plug.

Next was one of my 262s which was cutting out randomly:plug.thumb.jpeg.4674c551a18dad13ff3719eb2f4ac0f7.jpeg

Easily solved and I have had this happen before, long ago, but can't understand why the piece  stayed on the plug to cause the erratic behaviour unless it was magnetised in some way. I noticed a slight weep of fuel from the joint under the fuel tank, a job for the epoxy I suppose, unless I have a spare 262 or 254 tank somwhere,

Next was a box of bits from a damaged Husky 346xp, this is an early one with the 42mm piston and  no decompression button. It had a badly melted piston but the bore felt okay so I ordered a new Meteor piston from Greece, it arrived 10 days later along with the rings for the Jonsered, no import duty but a few quid more than I expected £38 all in.

This saw had been thoroughly disassembled, the sort of thing a local dealer may do to put you off the repair but this was done by the owner's son. So far I have found a missing cylinder bolt, 725 53 33 55 Screw Ihscm, this is a coarse thread allen screw but is it available other than the Husqvarna part at £1.40 and a few quid carriage?

I cannot see how the ignition cut out works  as it looks like a metal contact plate for the spade terminal, shown loose blue wire, is missing from the red plastic ignition switch, anyone know? It's unclear from the parts diagram.

346switch.thumb.jpeg.f0fc6cd970551ef57adefbb6a5977ff9.jpeg

More fun and games figuring how the chain brake handle goes back on.