What's on your bench today?

spudulike

52 minutes ago, spudulike said:

The saw has been designed as it is so you must be missing something and wouldn't recommend grinding springs etc. There is a bloke on this site by the name of "Echo". Not sure if it is bravado or he actually works for the company. Perhaps he can assist.

Other than that, you need to compare another machine that works with yours and look for differences. I don't get enough in to know but I can say that the manufacturer didn't make it that way. 

Was the spring the correct one? If it was to long in its compressed state, that would do it.....I know grinding off.......it is a safety device....get it wrong and the 2 mins of bleed out up a tree don't sound good!

Yup my thoughts exactly, that's why I thought I'd put it to the hive mind before taking a saw with bits missing from its designed safety system into the woods!

I'm confident it's  assembled correctly, its not actually possible to get any of the bits in upside-down or back to front, its been designed such that it can only go together the correct way. I'm also confident that there's no way the brake handle should need this much force to overcome the spring, its quite a job to even get it assembled each time as the spring is so long and hard to compress. The fact I bought it with melted plastics, a broken brake band and knackered chain tensioner makes me think its not impossible the spring might have been replaced with a stiffer one that was about the right size 🤔 

Shame its old and rare enough I don't know anyone else with one,  something like a 201t I know half a dozen of I could try to compare it to, but you don't see the Echos very frequently. 

Not yet 'on the bench' but it will be soon, as soon as I figure out what it is really. I'm a Stihl man really but a friend asked me to have a look at this.

So - What is this ? (A Husqvarna chainsaw, isn't quite the answer I was looking for tbh  ;) ), the plate seems to say it's model

162 FS (?)

And what is that in pic 4 ?

(Sorry about the slightly out of focus pics - operator error)

HSKY-1.JPG

HSKY-2.JPG

HSKY-3.JPG

HSKY-4.JPG

Thus is one for @adw but the 162 was the 60cc fore runner of the 266m 268, 272 saw series. IMO it the layout was copied from Jonsered as soon as electrolux brought both firms into the same holding, 70s.

The device is a pressure take off for combustion gases to blow up a pneumatic lifting device inserted into the saw cut instead of a wedge. I never got to try one and they were not marketed for long.

• Like 1

Yup my thoughts exactly, that's why I thought I'd put it to the hive mind before taking a saw with bits missing from its designed safety system into the woods!

I'm confident it's  assembled correctly, its not actually possible to get any of the bits in upside-down or back to front, its been designed such that it can only go together the correct way. I'm also confident that there's no way the brake handle should need this much force to overcome the spring, its quite a job to even get it assembled each time as the spring is so long and hard to compress. The fact I bought it with melted plastics, a broken brake band and knackered chain tensioner makes me think its not impossible the spring might have been replaced with a stiffer one that was about the right size [emoji848] 

Shame its old and rare enough I don't know anyone else with one,  something like a 201t I know half a dozen of I could try to compare it to, but you don't see the Echos very frequently. 

Hi Darkslider,
I have the cs-350tes and it’s my favourite top handle.
The hand guard on mine is also flexible so you get use to pulling back on the half nearest the sprocket side to disengage the chain brake.
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Hi Darkslider,
I have the cs-350tes and it’s my favourite top handle.
The hand guard on mine is also flexible so you get use to pulling back on the half nearest the sprocket side to disengage the chain brake.

Cheers for that, would you say it's also really stiff compared to your other saws? Maybe I've gotten weak in lockdown but I can see my hand cramping up if I were to put the brake on and off a couple dozen times while also clambering round a tree.

A new genuine spring is only £2.70 so I think I might stick one on the next order just to compare it to what's fitted, I could replace the nylon block with a nylon washer too if that doesn't get me anywhere.