What's on your bench today?

spudulike

36 minutes ago, Khriss said:

My bench today saw this finished , used to make hundreds of these when I was a kid and visiting Elvington near York , made me think can I still manage the fiddley bits with 50 yr plus eyes and white fingered hands ?? * gets airbrush out *  K

Chieftan Mk5.jpg

Has the Cycle Terrorists also! 'Didn't you see me? and Can't park here Cycle lane and hes on the phone while driving got you on my Go pro you'll be on youtube!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Khriss said:

@AngrySquirrel if you ever saw the old footage of them skidding round road junctions and roundabouts in Germany in winter operations, you would not want to cycle anywhere near !  K

Seen them doing donuts and drifting along with those 6 wheel 90tonne volvo dump trucks!

There is no such thing as Squaddie Proof they then go on to be Royal fail Jockeys Gleaning there destructive skills!

• Like 1

Checking over my recently purchased 242 XP 1998 hardly used.

strong compression.

but carbon marks on piston 

And there was no way of adjusting carburettor.

Hopefully I’ve found the reason for it sucking air.

one of the oil pump screws had worn lose and was missing.

I’m grateful for any good suggestions .

09BA50D6-27D3-4E62-A6F6-8AD43B91FD9A.png

146A5D0E-AC17-4560-8F26-E0ACE4871D37.jpeg

974E6E89-67AA-41B0-B766-94CABE23D8DE.png

Picked up a 346 recently, had it in mind to go over the saw, check it was running OK, fix any bits that needed going over and pass it onto a friend. 

Sadly during testing it out it lost compression and on investigation it appears that it has suffered a light seize, picking up a little either side of the exhaust port. 

My intention is to try to clean up the cylinder, put a piston in it, replace the crank seals, intake rubbers, fuel lines, filters and put a carb kit in it over the winter. The only thing worrying me slightly is that there is a little nipple on the cylinder wall, quite low down maybe a casting or machining issue under the plating opposite one of the transfers. Bit more than a pin head, but not much. I guess it hasn't caused issues while the saw has been running in the past, there doesn't seem to be any marks on the piston or rub marks on the nipple or through the plating, just felt a bit odd. 

242XP New piston, clean and lightly hone the bore, pressure and vacuum check and service the fuel system.

346 - just make sure the bore is clean and smooth. Engines cant tell they have small imperfections, they need good compression so the bore above the exhaust port is the important part as long as the plating isn't worn off below it!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Darrin Turnbull said:

Checking over my recently purchased 242 XP 1998 hardly used.

strong compression.

but carbon marks on piston 

And there was no way of adjusting carburettor.

Hopefully I’ve found the reason for it sucking air.

one of the oil pump screws had worn lose and was missing.

I’m grateful for any good suggestions .

09BA50D6-27D3-4E62-A6F6-8AD43B91FD9A.png

146A5D0E-AC17-4560-8F26-E0ACE4871D37.jpeg

974E6E89-67AA-41B0-B766-94CABE23D8DE.png

Thanks.

any suggestions about the worn crankcase screw hole.