What's on your bench today?

spudulike

On 22/09/2019 at 11:19, Khriss said:

Just same bother with mine. 4 yrs after purchase- finally checked two pipes under top plate of saw body- fuel pipe n puffer pipe. Both split. K

Same.  Picked it up as a non-runner, out of curiosity mostly, split hoses in this one too. Next time I attempt to use it there'll probably be something else to fix ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bmp01 said:

Same.  Picked it up as a non-runner, out of curiosity mostly, split hoses in this one too. Next time I attempt to use it there'll probably be something else to fix ?

Mine's been as good as gold till the other day, runs on Aspen and can't explain what happened to stop it working but it's spot on again now. I can't complain for what it cost me and I've had it a few years now.

1 hour ago, Martin du Preez said:

Just wanted to pick your guys minds on this.
Ms460.
Turns over on full choke,
Move to half choke,
Fires up and then dies instantly.

Just take the carb out and cleaned it right up. Same problem.

Not much of an expert yet but keen to do it as it was my first saw!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Sounds like fuel starvation - one thing you could do is to remove the carb with a bit of fuel in the tank and see if fuel pisses out of the fuel line. If it doesn't, remove the fuel cap and push it back on and see if fuel comes out of the fuel line. It should and if it doesn't, you may have a split fuel line or dodgy filter.

If it does - you probably haven't cleaned the carb properly - make sure the gauze strainer is removed, inspected with a magnifying glass and cleaned if necessary. Make sure the needle valve is opening and shutting properly and all the gaskets are in the right order - the thin plastic pump diaphragm sits next to the carb body (not cover) and the metering diaphragm has a spacer gasket between the body and the diaphragm. You can attach the fuel line and push the metering arm down and fuel should naturally come out from the slight pressure in the tank.

Make sure the metering diaphragm isn't hard and make sure the metering arm is level with the body of the carb where the spacer diaphragm sits - use a ruler across the body to do this.

Also, make sure the low speed adjuster is out as far as the limiters allow or 1.5 turn from fully in if no limiters are fitted.

You could also have an impulse line that's come off, a massive crankcase air leak or issues with the plug, coil gap or coil, all can do this as can low compression!

One last thing, make sure the throttle is being held open a bit on half choke - seen this fail and give this symptom before - it will fire if you hold the throttle open and pull it over hard.

Edited by spudulike
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Sounds like fuel starvation - one thing you could do is to remove the carb with a bit of fuel in the tank and see if fuel pisses out of the fuel line. If it doesn't, remove the fuel cap and push it back on and see if fuel comes out of the fuel line. It should and if it doesn't, you may have a split fuel line or dodgy filter.

If it does - you probably haven't cleaned the carb properly - make sure the gauze strainer is removed, inspected with a magnifying glass and cleaned if necessary. Make sure the needle valve is opening and shutting properly and all the gaskets are in the right order - the thin plastic pump diaphragm sits next to the carb body (not cover) and the metering diaphragm has a spacer gasket between the body and the diaphragm. You can attach the fuel line and push the metering arm down and fuel should naturally come out from the slight pressure in the tank.

Make sure the metering diaphragm isn't hard and make sure the metering arm is level with the body of the carb where the spacer diaphragm sits - use a ruler across the body to do this.

Also, make sure the low speed adjuster is out as far as the limiters allow or 1.5 turn from fully in if no limiters are fitted.

You could also have an impulse line that's come off, a massive crankcase air leak or issues with the plug, coil gap or coil, all can do this as can low compression!

One last thing, make sure the throttle is being held open a bit on half choke - seen this fail and give this symptom before - it will fire if you hold the throttle open and pull it over hard.

Cheers really appreciate that! yes full did piss out when i removed the carb. I did notice a work rear av mount in the process as well. don't know whether thats caused any other issues. Thanks again though!

• Like 1

If the AVs are iffy then you may have pulled the impulse line (rubber pipe) from its connector just below the base of the cylinder between the cylinder and the back of the air filter box. It can happen on the MS460, 461, 361 260 etc - all of similar design.

Normally a saw would start with the line off but it would give very poor running.

You can try to start the machine and then strip the carb being carefully to lift the covers off one at a time vertically so you can see where the petrol is sitting - it will give you an idea of where the fuel isn't flowing and what the issue is!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, spudulike said:

If the AVs are iffy then you may have pulled the impulse line (rubber pipe) from its connector just below the base of the cylinder between the cylinder and the back of the air filter box. It can happen on the MS460, 461, 361 260 etc - all of similar design.

Normally a saw would start with the line off but it would give very poor running.

You can try to start the machine and then strip the carb being carefully to lift the covers off one at a time vertically so you can see where the petrol is sitting - it will give you an idea of where the fuel isn't flowing and what the issue is!

Thank you! this has been really helpful, i Shall give it a go first thing tomorrow

I have a hla85 hedge trimmer that doesn’t work. The battery shows no warnings and is fully charged. When I pull the trigger the is a quiet click from near the motor but it just does it the once, when you pull the trigger straight after there is nothing. I’ve fitted a new switch. I saw earlier in this thread about the terminals on the motor but they all look fine and if the touch them it makes no difference. Any idea?