What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Well.....

Got the idea from @Big J on low impact forestry, I already do a lot of bio diversity work . So fr some reason Skylining .... fr some reason ended up in N.Wales n 200 squid lighter.... this is the first stage, an Igland 4000/2. AFTER  I stripped and cleaned it up , fukksake  ! Any part that could be hit with a hammer ( a big hammer ) was. Had to chisel bearings out of drum, clutch hub had no shaft key in it ! Comprehensively shagged ( scrapped all the ropes ) 

Next stage is get the deisel engine running and make a chassis an fold up mast, as it will be a towed rig behind my Landrover,  so it's gears n welding next. K

10 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Well spotted HTB, I had to use two Hi lifts to bray the clutch drive hubs off the spindles, one had split before and had been welded up ! Totally seized. K

Handy things hi lifts for jobs like that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

25cc Chinese top handle, never let me down before but today I nearly pulled my shoulder out trying to start it. Checked the spark plug and put a bit of fuel down the hole and it fired so carb off and cleaned out and still no joy. It's a simple job to whip the carb off so repeated the procedure and checked the metering arm this time raising it a touch. Put it back together and away it went third pull and cutting like a good un.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, peatff said:

25cc Chinese top handle, never let me down before but today I nearly pulled my shoulder out trying to start it. Checked the spark plug and put a bit of fuel down the hole and it fired so carb off and cleaned out and still no joy. It's a simple job to whip the carb off so repeated the procedure and checked the metering arm this time raising it a touch. Put it back together and away it went third pull and cutting like a good un.

Just same bother with mine. 4 yrs after purchase- finally checked two pipes under top plate of saw body- fuel pipe n puffer pipe. Both split. K

2 hours ago, peatff said:

I nearly pulled my shoulder out trying to start it

That reminds me.  I do love customers (so called pro's) who send their saws in for repair, and they've been using it with about six inches of starter cord.  Pays to pull the thing over slowly the first time.  Wouldn't be so bad if they'd actually brought it in for a starter repair, at least you'd be aware there is something wrong with it. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, lurkalot said:

That reminds me.  I do love customers (so called pro's) who send their saws in for repair, and they've been using it with about six inches of starter cord.  Pays to pull the thing over slowly the first time.  Wouldn't be so bad if they'd actually brought it in for a starter repair, at least you'd be aware there is something wrong with it. 

One good tug and a smack in the nads for your trouble, good start to the job :D

It never ceases to amaze me the state of some of the kit I get in. I normally tell the owner to bin their regular service agent as he isn't doing much only to be told the saw hasn't been looked at in 5 years.

The other retort is "your compressor isn't working" it normally gets the comment "is it expensive" and I tell them, no, around £100 gets you a good one, Aldi have them on offer and then they realise I am taking the piss about the amount of shyte under the covers of their saw.

Would you leave your car 5 years without service or washing it?????

• Thanks 1