What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Any one got any bright ideas for me.... I’ve got a 560. Chain was running on and stalling when I applied the chain brake. My initial thought was clutch which I changed. Since I’ve done that I can’t really start the saw unless I hold the throttle in. And then it dies when I release the throttle then won’t start again at all. It made no difference when I removed all the running gear.
TIA

1 hour ago, lewiswood said:

Any one got any bright ideas for me.... I’ve got a 560. Chain was running on and stalling when I applied the chain brake. My initial thought was clutch which I changed. Since I’ve done that I can’t really start the saw unless I hold the throttle in. And then it dies when I release the throttle then won’t start again at all. It made no difference when I removed all the running gear.
TIA

take the exhaust off and check the rings and piston

The fact the issue is still there with all the clutch assembly off the machine tells me that the carb has a few issues or the piston has nipped up. You need to look at the piston through the exhaust port and if that is OK, strip and inspect the carb checking the main components.

The fact the issue is still there with all the clutch assembly off the machine tells me that the carb has a few issues or the piston has nipped up. You need to look at the piston through the exhaust port and if that is OK, strip and inspect the carb checking the main components.

Thanks. Taking the exhaust off is my next port of call.

With your original problem did you take the oil pump drive out with the clutch and check it was properly engaged on assembly? 

I didn’t initial but I did check that when I put it all back together and it wouldn’t start right. I have head of this being an issue sometimes.

5 hours ago, lewiswood said:

I didn’t initial but I did check that when I put it all back together and it wouldn’t start right. I have head of this being an issue sometimes.

Sounds like you have checked the drive but if the saw was worse after changing the clutch I would look at removing the clutch, sprocket, worm drive and pump then try starting it. Have had a few saws where the worm has melted/deformed causing the same issue.

• 2 weeks later...

replacing sprocket on 201. put the plastic piston jammer that came with new sprocket into chamber, undone nut and replaced sprocket successfully but the plastic jammer was sliced in two and half is left in chamber and i cannot jiggle it out. this happened to anybody? looked on you tube and one bloke used a bit of thick cord to jam the piston saying the plastic jammer was too harsh a tool. wish i'd done that now but clearly this tool not up to the job?

Edited by westphalian
  • Haha 1