What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Whats on my bench today?

560 - exhaust loose, thread damage on one bolt, heat shield blown, gasket gone

346 - not running well - looks over rich, new spark plug may be all that is needed

339 - not oiling, stops every time you touch the throttle from idle

Stihl 038 - just needs new chain & bar

141 - no start

not tried the 084 yet - may leave that until I get a running saw

Had a strange one today, a chewed up inlet port on one side and a mullered piston. Thought about it and bingo.....redneck piston stop, chewed up the fragile part of the inlet port which is also the important timed side and this then cocked up a brand new OEM £50 piston.

Now got an unhappy customer who did a load of work on the saw and then sent it in for porting - new top end needed on this one!

MS200T Piston.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Decided to get my finger out of my bum and strip my husky 371 down to rebuild. It's had fairly low compression but ran ok.

I'm going to change the crank seals as I imagine they'll be fairly hard after years of use, replace all the rubbers and put another exhaust on it as the original is pretty dented and rusty. The cylinder has a few vertical marks by the inlet and exhaust ports but I can't feel them with a fingernail, so I assume they are just normal wear marks from millions of passes from the piston.

I'm getting the carb cleaned and will fit a seal kit to it, I'll get the cylinder honed and have ordered a piston ring, the piston appears to be ok. I'll check the squish and probably delete the base gasket if I can, and polish the exhaust port.

There is a lot of carbon build up on the piston, the top of the cylinder and the exhaust port, how do people remove this? Seems pretty well baked on. 

Can the piston circlips be reused, or if I remove the piston, should they be replaced?

20190106_132700.jpg

20190106_132719.jpg