What's on your bench today?

spudulike

I find quite a few MS150s flywheel nuts are pretty loose. You can't crank them really tight as Stihl have turrets on many of their flywheels to make the flywheel lighter but they do burst relatively easy so if that flywheel makes a "PING" that sounds like hitting the flywheel lightly with a screwdriver then be worried - easy to do and new flywheel time!!

23 hours ago, spudulike said:

I find quite a few MS150s flywheel nuts are pretty loose. You can't crank them really tight as Stihl have turrets on many of their flywheels to make the flywheel lighter but they do burst relatively easy so if that flywheel makes a "PING" that sounds like hitting the flywheel lightly with a screwdriver then be worried - easy to do and new flywheel time!!

Ditto, had two brand new 150's spin the flywheels loose within a week of each other.  It's a crap design really.

Even had a couple of flywheels spin loose and shear the key out just because they were flooded and kicked back on starting.  Guess it's cheaper for Stihl to make a flywheel this way, and if they tell you it's to protect the crank etc, then that's b/locks.  Make the flywheel properly and use a soft key like the old days.  Cheap to make = expensive to repair.

Edited by lurkalot
typo

This was an interesting one, a 576XP that was sort of lacking power though not badly, would stall every now and then, didn't rev out as well as it should and it sort of warbled or four stroked in themed range.

It may have been the autotune but thought more coil and then checked the main bearings and noticed some strangeness around the flywheel so pulled it and found the coil that produces the power for the autotune unit had sheared a bolt, the other one had come loose and the laminations had splayed and caused a bit of wear on the alloy casings.

The simplest solution - get rid of the autotune system and fit a standard carb!

576XP.jpg

Just been doing the business bank statement - they always abbreviate the customers names and had Shire Tree Services ending up as  "Shi T S" and then had Manor Farm Tree Services ending up as "Man Far T S" Made me chuckle[emoji14]

Surely some one was having a laugh?

Is there a non autotune 576 you can just nick a carb off then?

Nope, just the statement from the bank abbreviating the customer title - just the way it rolls, makes me laugh....and the customers.

Got a carb on the way, the saw had gone to a few others before it came to me in frustration and had a recent new carb. Seemed not too bad but was a bit flubby in the cut and fortunately, I validate as much as I can before purchasing expensive parts.

On 15/11/2017 at 22:52, spudulike said:

On 16/11/2017 at 08:30, lurkalot said:

Ditto, had two brand new 150's spin the flywheels loose within a week of each other.  It's a crap design really.

Even had a couple of flywheels spin loose and shear the key out just because they were flooded and kicked back on starting.  Guess it's cheaper for Stihl to make a flywheel this way, and if they tell you it's to protect the crank etc, then that's b/locks.  Make the flywheel properly and use a soft key like the old days.  Cheap to make = expensive to repair.

Yeh i've had a couple over the years shear within a couples hours from new. I think there was an assembly problem a while back where they just weren't getting torqued up enough. The torque setting is only 12NM - 15NM so its not crazy tight. As for  a separate key?? well that would mean an extra step in the assembly process and added cost! which is not the "efficient stihl way".

3 hours ago, littlelionlee88 said:

t. As for  a separate key?? well that would mean an extra step in the assembly process and added cost! which is not the "efficient stihl way".

I've not tried it, because Barrie @GardenKit sold me a cheap new one for the 361 I was repairing, but is it feasible to broach a new slot in the flywheel to accept a woodruff key?