What's on your bench today?

spudulike

I cant say for sure if your change to Aspen has caused a loosened carbon ingestion giving you ...all.. or ..some.. of the damage...But, i do know of information in Norway with some older saws doing this when changed across...3 and 5 group Husq so not old old only.

Im saying its a possibility ..NOT..a certainty . I tend to mention this to customers when asked .

Ps..that pot should clean up as far as i can make out from the pic. Vac and Press test it all first though to be sure what your up against.

I've ordered OEM pot and piston for 75 pounds sterling.

I have changed thousands of machines over to Aspen and never had any problems with pistons and pots.

Sure, the carbon deposits will lessen in time, but its a very slow and gradual process and the small particles get blown out of the exhaust port. I have never seen damage caused by so called carbon particles being dislodged from the use of Aspen. And even if it was to happen it would most likely be just one piece in one place, not all round as in this case.

I would say the key in this particular problem is in post 9031 "i got from a caretaker never had power , poor compression"

The problem occurred with the original owner, and by the look of the scoring which is on both inlet and exhaust side, it is due to oil of insufficient quantity or quality having been used at some time.

Once this sort of scoring has occurred it will just get worse every time the saw is attempted to be used, even if a perfect fuel mix is used, and self destruction is inevitable.

It wont fit on my bench but our stumpy is giving me grief . It cuts lovely at full revs then dies down after 8 mins .

It always drives to the job well ? 20 HP Kohler Engine .. Ram Grinder .

Switch it off and re start 5 mins later ....works great then the same again ?

fuel bowl full of crap ?

Between jobs i thought i would replace some things on my caretaker's 020 saw. And this is what i found.

[ATTACH]190852[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]190853[/ATTACH]

Should i replace the piston.?

I think you're right Barry , it was like that when i first got it. My post from October 2015

It wont fit on my bench but our stumpy is giving me grief . It cuts lovely at full revs then dies down after 8 mins .

It always drives to the job well ? 20 HP Kohler Engine .. Ram Grinder .

Switch it off and re start 5 mins later ....works great then the same again ?

fuel bowl full of crap ?

Crikey that must be getting on, they went bust years ago didn't they?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Too big for the workshop but the front axle assembly of the trailer has parted ways with the chassis, so the floor will have to come out and the trailer will go down to the welders for some work.

But good news both log splitters are up and running one after a little tune up service and the big log buster was welded and the oil side of things serviced

• 3 weeks later...

I have my 041 in bits for a piston replacement as it had a split in the impulse line and is now buggered but i hope the pot is salvagable . and an uneconomical repair for a 52cc chinese strimmer thats got some minor scoring of the piston but wont even turn over, the client is going to be gutted as its his favorite toy and just out of warranty 

2 hours ago, Richard Thompson said:

I have my 041 in bits for a piston replacement as it had a split in the impulse line and is now buggered but i hope the pot is salvagable . and an uneconomical repair for a 52cc chinese strimmer thats got some minor scoring of the piston but wont even turn over, the client is going to be gutted as its his favorite toy and just out of warranty 

It is rare Chinese kit is worth repairing in most cases!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spudulike said:

It is rare Chinese kit is worth repairing in most cases!

a new engine and fitting is basically the same price as a new machine, and a new piston and gaskets plus fitting is basically the same as a new engine. 

if it was a quality machine different rules apply but some customers only look at the bottom line when purchasing and not the longevity of the product

YMMV