What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Looks the plug was damaged either when. Someone removed it or been dropped on it. Cheap plugs are awful I have come across them dropping the elctrode.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Arbtalk mobile app

It's a NGK plug = good quality.

I took my ime to dissect it, the swaged section removed in the lathe, then the filler picked out gently. It was visually intact before i started the process. It had racked up tens of running hours, failing in service with the cracked ceramic.

It's possible it was subject to handling damage prior to fitting but only to the same level as any other plug.

bmp01

Must of been a Barsted to diagnose as it Probaly still had a good spark

Sent from my LG-H850 using Arbtalk mobile app

A bit awkward. The saw ran fine most of the time but harder and harder to start from cold, eventually it wouldn't. Decent spark with an old fashioned 'jump the gap' tester so I was convinced the problem was fuelling, but that theory started to be less likely when i swapped in a good carb and still no joy. Swapped the plug at some point because it was clear I'd flooded the engine. It started instantly then - just like restarting a hot saw, half way through pulling the cord. Didn't half make me jump :lol:

I must have swapped that plug in and out 5 times after that, before I accepted the fact the plug was knackered - and thats why I cut it up to see how it had failed. The arcing pattern explained everything. I concluded a damp plug - such as you get when starting on choke - just made it easier for the plug to short out and not arc across the gap.

Lesson learnt, just carry a known good plug and put it high up on the priority list of things to swap in when dealing with a PITA engine.

bmp01

Edited by bmp01
typo

Lesson learnt, just carry a known good plug and put it high up on the priority list of things to swap in when dealing with a PITA engine.

Just as I found out today; I'd put aside the makita blower that was refusing to run more than 10 seconds, conviced it was a fuel starvation problem

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/chainsaws/66200-makita-blower-playing-up.html#post1007313

So three and a half years later, feeling bored, I dragged it out and changed the fuel filter plus re stripped and cleaned the carb.

Ran it back up, same fault, ran flat out for 10 seconds and stopped, just like the stop switch had been used.

I pulled the earth off the coil and same again. Next I put the spark tester on again and it appeared to be sparking fine even as the engine dies, NGK plug was a good colour and looked fine.

I'd post the video of the spark tester but anyway I took the plug from a dead saw and wonderful, back to its old self and running without problems.

Have four Contra's (3x 106 cc and 1x 137 cc) on the bench in the middle of a complete restore/refresh/rebuild. Will take me a while to finish them all.

Also have a BLK 57 that showed up yesterday. Complete saw in good condition. Bund model, so it's olive drab. Need to source an original box and kit for it. Will do a quick clean, compression check, and inventory before putting it aside for a while.

And a Raket 621 that came in yesterday as well. Same as the BLK -- it's complete, will get a compression check, quick clean and inspection and put it aside until I can get to it.