What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Finally got round to this today. Had already given it a blow over with the air gun and washed the filter so started with vent tube and new fuel filter. Thought I would see if that had solved the problem and, when I started it, it idled nicely without stalling so I will leave the carb for when it plays up again. :thumbup1:

Good news, some you win:thumbup:

My 550xp is overheating around the clutch, side cover gets too hot to touch after a minutes running, and smokes. Excess oil seems too be not getting on to the bar and dripping rather than getting on the bar not sure this because of the heat thinning the oil? The bar is oiling enough.Could it be clutch slippage? Everything looks fine around the clutch

Anyone got any ideas?:thumbup:

My 550xp is overheating around the clutch, side cover gets too hot to touch after a minutes running, and smokes. Excess oil seems too be not getting on to the bar and dripping rather than getting on the bar not sure this because of the heat thinning the oil? The bar is oiling enough.Could it be clutch slippage? Everything looks fine around the clutch

Mines been doing this lately, chains fines and seems to be oiling but gets real hot real quick.

The only time I get smoke around that area is doing full speed chain brake tests and that smokes a bit on around three tests. Reckon it is probably clutch slip on full tilt, about the only thing that would cause enough heat to burn the oil off!

The only time I get smoke around that area is doing full speed chain brake tests and that smokes a bit on around three tests. Reckon it is probably clutch slip on full tilt, about the only thing that would cause enough heat to burn the oil off!

Cheers Spud,:001_smile: is that just new clutch time then?

Cheers Spud,:001_smile: is that just new clutch time then?

Worth taking it apart and checking it. Check the surfaces of the clutch where they touch the drum and the inner surface of the drum to make sure the clutch hasn't worn a groove in the inner drum.

The operating hours of the machine should give some idea as to if the clutch may be the issue, if it is low hours then it is unlikely and may just be the shoes are a bit sticky but if it is high hours then it is more possible.

Worth taking it apart and checking it. Check the surfaces of the clutch where they touch the drum and the inner surface of the drum to make sure the clutch hasn't worn a groove in the inner drum.

The operating hours of the machine should give some idea as to if the clutch may be the issue, if it is low hours then it is unlikely and may just be the shoes are a bit sticky but if it is high hours then it is more possible.

Its pretty low hours really, had it apart today couldn't see anything obvious, I will check tomorrow to see if the shoes are sticky. thanks again :001_smile:

Just bought a little husky 142 off ebay, complete with compulsory scored barrel and piston, primarily for keeping by the chipper etc. Have a 14" bar on it and am about to order a non oem piston and barrel off the bay. Have been studying a few porting vids and am thinking of giving it a go, if I cock it up its no big loss. Anyway I was going to port the new barrel and an exhaust mod. Would this make any difference to a 142 on a non oem barrel and piston?

The 142 is a hobby/entry level saw, not really the best machine to try and port, open transfers,clam shell design, built in the Poulon factory in the US. Leave as standard.

Or just do a muffler mod by opening up the outlet a little - don't go too mad otherwise it will sound bloody loud and have little more performance than just opening it up a little.

Not worth working on the engine - not an easy one to strip down.