What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Got our MS261 back from the dealers and although it was still running (to his amazement) he said the crank and bearings had gone. £190 for the crank + labour and vat so that's going to cost £300 ish to put it right.

Does anyone know of a better alternative to get it going again?

If the crank is damaged then replacement would be the only answer. I'd be tempted to buy a used one off eBay (there are several for sale) and you'd have a fist full of spares ...

Just out of interest - how did the crank get damaged ??

• 2 weeks later...

Hello spud, I've had a look and they are the same as this. I pushed the spring loaded bit in with a dentist tool and the screw could then be turned. I have ordered the tool for adjusting easily, from what I could see it is a 21 toothed spline, not a seven, does that sound about right? How much would it be for you to get me an exhaust and do a mod on it and then post it to me?

Is this exhaust OK for you as it is completed now?

1465542508986-667449988.jpg.47725f71505fa6208358fd0a31e27f9a.jpg

Six years ago I bought a Ryobi 4 stroke kombi tool as a "lending out" tool for all the acquaintances that ask to borrow tools. I have seldom used it but bought some extra attachments.

I wondered why an old school friend was a bit slow to return it, turns out the camshaft is plastic and has melted the lobes off the exhaust cam.

plasticam.jpg.3a95a1d958a6652b4d336f5ee0d6ed16.jpg

Unfortunately the part is not listed, it appears to be a common problem and people have made their own but that's a bit much for me as it only cost 80 quid. What to do with those attachments though?

The oil feed to the cam seems to be through a bicuspid val;ve in the cylinder from the crankcase and there is some sort of impulse line through the overhead camshaft.

Six years ago I bought a Ryobi 4 stroke kombi tool as a "lending out" tool for all the acquaintances that ask to borrow tools. I have seldom used it but bought some extra attachments.

I wondered why an old school friend was a bit slow to return it, turns out the camshaft is plastic and has melted the lobes off the exhaust cam.

[ATTACH]206469[/ATTACH]

Unfortunately the part is not listed, it appears to be a common problem and people have made their own but that's a bit much for me as it only cost 80 quid. What to do with those attachments though?

The oil feed to the cam seems to be through a bicuspid val;ve in the cylinder from the crankcase and there is some sort of impulse line through the overhead camshaft.

Will the attachments fit something else like a KM unit?

[ATTACH]206469[/ATTACH]

It is possible the valve got tight in its guide when standing and took out the lobe.

The attachments would probably work on a McCulloch powerhead or you may find a non runner with the part intact and repair your unit.

Yes basically, I too had a Ryobi, engine died so bought a KM56, strimmer, please ok if you have a hedge trimmer you need to trim 1/4 - 1/2 inch off the tube tco make it locate deep in the KM connector. As the Ryobi attachments wore out I replaced them with genuine Stihl but at least got some use out of them.