Beech tree advice needed

njc110381

Question

Hey guys. I've got a tree that I would really like to keep, but unfortunately I think it's going to take a lot of work as the people who planted it didn't really think ahead!

It's a Copper Beech, currently about 30 feet tall with a trunk about 14-16" diameter. Now the problem is it's approxiately 15 feet from the house. I know how big these things can get so I need some advice.

Pretty much, if I keep on top of it by regular pruning can I keep it from getting too much bigger, or at least slow it down a lot? I know it's hard to reduce the size of a tree and keep it there, but if I attack it now is it possible to keep it at about the size it is?

This thought came to me in a customers garden - they have a Copper Beech that's pushing 100ft and the trunk is bloody huge! I know it will have taken longer than I have to get to that size, but even something half that size would ruin my house!

Can anyone offer me any advice? If there are any local guys on here I'd be happy to pay a few quid for a visit/advice.:thumbup1:

Thanks for the replies chaps. They're much appreciated and I'll give it some thought.

First things first I've edited my details. Asking if there's anyone local to help and not saying where I am... Well duh! I honestly thought I'd filled that bit in but obviously not! :confused1:

I think the regular thin/reduction is the way forward. As many have said it would need to be regular and I accept it wouldn't look quite "natural", but it's a bit of a random anyway and almost looks like a pollard as it is? I'm a landscaper so have a fair idea of what it will look like and could probably do it myself, badly! That's the reason for asking, it's not my department really and anything but basic work I would rather pass on and make sure it's done properly.

I know a very good local chap but he seems to be teaching more than anything now. I don't think this job is his thing and even if it was I don't think I could afford him!

EDIT... It's not too big now so I think by cutting it regularly at this point I should be able to maintain it's size? It doesn't need to get any smaller, rather just not get too much bigger!

Edited by njc110381

Hi Njc,

Are you in Stroud? I'm in Wotton-u-Edge. Although there's not much point in me coming to look at it coz I hung up my chainsaw a few years ago, you could do far worse than give Lawrence Tree Services a call. They're not that far away and do some smashing tree work. They're in the Yellow Pages I think.

Phil

Copper Beech Tree Tips:

A variety of European beech tree copper beech (Fagus sylvatica purpurea) produces stunning deep purple foliage or copper. Available in a regular array and a way to mourn, the copper beech makes an attractive landscape specimen. Usually reaches a height of only 50 feet, weeping varieties rarely 10 feet. The silver bark provides winter interest and nuts are a source of wild foods.

Planting Location

The beech tree copper is resistant to cold U.S. USDA Zone 4. Choose a planting site that provides the soil with good drainage. The tree prefers slightly acid soil - does not grow well in clay soils and miss often.

Locate the tree in full sunlight for best color. The tree can grow in partial shade, but to maintain deep purple or copper that requires full sunlight or the leaves start to turn slightly green.

Avoid planting in areas you hold the salt spray. The tree of copper has not tolerate any form of salt. Even the de-icing salt can kill the tree, according to Floridata.

Water needs

The beech tree copper required to develop a moist until completely established. Once established, can tolerate a limited time of drought. A heavy drinker, the tree consumes large amounts of water when the temperature is hot. The tree should be well-drained soil and tolerates no roots moist at all, according to the University of Connecticut.

In areas with exceptionally hot summers, as in USDA zones 7 more, the tree does not thrive and often die. The copper beech is heated much more sensitive than other varieties of beech trees, according to Floridata.

Pests and Diseases

Only a few pests bother the copper beech. The tree may have powdery mildew. Its new growth often suffers the invasion of the colonies of aphids. Hosing the tree with a heavy water spray or using a pesticide usually take care of aphids.

Keep the tree with regular water and fertilizer will help prevent blisters. Because the copper beech tree is a variety of European beech tree, which does not suffer from disease such as American beech bark you often.

Disadvantages

As the copper beech tree ages often develop large surface roots that make growing around the base of the tree difficult. The branches of copper beeches often extend into the soil or cry down to sweep the floor in the varieties to mourn. Seldom grown grass under the trees.

The tree emits shoots around the base that must be removed quickly to keep the overall look of the tree.