Hedgelaying... rates, costs, profit?

Daniël Bos

Here is the hedge to be laid... mainly Hawthorn with oak, holly, hazel, blackthorn and ash through it. There are some gaps in it which the horses are sneaking out of so it needs to be sorted.

Hedge Chopper - where you say leave plenty on the hinge, do you mean to use a conventional felling cut with a gob and back cut to get the larger diameter stuff over?

i have only seen a small diameter hazel hedge laid and to lay it, they just severed the back of the stem and bent it over.

IMG_9472.jpg.db9e9414452e5f3a2df9eda47a8fcacc.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leaving 'plenty on the hinge' refers to the thickness left at the botton of the pleach (cut). Difficult to describe as it's something you get a feel for. Young hawthorn cuts and lays easily but older gnarly stuff will want to run out and break off as you lay it over.

A lot easier with two people as one can take the weight of the stem and control it whilst the other controls the cut with the axe.

Time of year and amount of sap and springiness in the stem makes a big difference.

If you can get to a couple of local hedglaying matches that may give you some pointers. They're being held now. Have a look at local Ag Society website for details. Also the national's next month in Gloucester.

Here is the hedge to be laid... mainly Hawthorn with oak, holly, hazel, blackthorn and ash through it. There are some gaps in it which the horses are sneaking out of so it needs to be sorted.

Hedge Chopper - where you say leave plenty on the hinge, do you mean to use a conventional felling cut with a gob and back cut to get the larger diameter stuff over?

i have only seen a small diameter hazel hedge laid and to lay it, they just severed the back of the stem and bent it over.

Without wanting to be offensive: If you need to ask that question you should stick to your day-job really.....:sneaky2:

There are lots of training days held everywhere all te time, the BTCV ones are quite good. But like anything crafty, nothing beats hands on experience. So if I were you I'd ask around for an experienced layer to help you for a day, a private lesson if you like. It won't cost you a lot (less still if the person is a good mate and you're providing cake...:thumbup:) and you can learn a lot in a day like that. There are many little things to remember that one can't really learn from 'tweb and many varying circumstances even in a single hedge asking for different approaches etc.

Without wanting to be offensive: If you need to ask that question you should stick to your day-job really.....:sneaky2:

No offence taken but if you don't ever ask questions... you'll never learn! Surely thats the point of a "Forum"?:001_tt2:

There doesn't seem to be much call for hedgelaying around my parts. I was hoping to get into it by doing some conservation work but its never come up. I even advertise hedgelaying on my website!:blushing:

If the work ever came up commercially, i know of a few 'countryside contractors' (farmers!) who would do it. However, because this hedge is my mrs', i'm not likely to paid for it!

As luck has it, i was just delivering some logs to an old family friend who is an ex-forester and he is going to come up and point me in the right direction!:thumbup:

Leaving 'plenty on the hinge' refers to the thickness left at the botton of the pleach (cut). Difficult to describe as it's something you get a feel for. Young hawthorn cuts and lays easily but older gnarly stuff will want to run out and break off as you lay it over.

A lot easier with two people as one can take the weight of the stem and control it whilst the other controls the cut with the axe.

Time of year and amount of sap and springiness in the stem makes a big difference.

If you can get to a couple of local hedglaying matches that may give you some pointers. They're being held now. Have a look at local Ag Society website for details. Also the national's next month in Gloucester.

Mattplace,Graham is spot on with what he says-its best to have a look at someone doing it as its hard to explain.If you have the Forester mate to show you that would be good.Not sure if rover and graham have found this but if its old and big you are best off getting a good axe as the chainsaw isn't the most accurate of things,better to nibble the last of it off with the axe rather than risk making it too thin with the saw.

If you want a bit of training or any other info go on NHLS - Home page

Its the website of the national hedgelaying society and would probably be useful to you too.

Mattplace,Graham is spot on with what he says-its best to have a look at someone doing it as its hard to explain.If you have the Forester mate to show you that would be good.Not sure if rover and graham have found this but if its old and big you are best off getting a good axe as the chainsaw isn't the most accurate of things,better to nibble the last of it off with the axe rather than risk making it too thin with the saw.

If you want a bit of training or any other info go on NHLS - Home page

Its the website of the national hedgelaying society and would probably be useful to you too.

That last bit is always better done with your axe. It's like fine tuning the cut. Oh and if you can't shave the hairs off your arm with an axe then it's not sharp enough:001_smile:

I did this last year, cut to the bone severing the tendons. I was quite proud when they didn't believe it even needed stitches at first as the cut was so neat it has just about closed up whilst waiting to see a nurse. This was after the cast came off..

rover-albums-chestnut-picture4710-snip.jpg

Why did I let the nurse pick the colour?

rover-albums-chestnut-picture4709-cast.jpg

• 3 years later...