Subaru Forester

Capstankid!

I have subaru legacy did have two until my daughter turned it 180 degrees went through 8ft high hawthorn hedge down 6ft drop then rolled 2 1/2 times. Thankfully she crawled out the rear side window the only one that broke totally unhurt apart for her pride. Farmer help me roll the car over and I drove it home. I have always been amazed by the strength of the Subaru which I first encountered while working for a gas pipeline construction company as the subaru being lighter was a better off road than the Land Rover Discoveries which the engineers drove.

My dads got a 2.0 turbo petrol one. Didn't have any problems on the snow, got everywhere. The ground clearance isn't as good as a 4x4 but better than a car. Mpg expect somewhere between 22-25. Depends on how your drive it. They can't pull a massive amount of weight. But as a daily driver they're brilliant.

Iv had landrovers, rangers etc and all i will say is the forrester was the best motor i have ever had! i fitted rally tyres to it and it will go anywhere anything else can apart from anywhere a bit of ground clearance is needed. There comfy, fast and good for doing few miles in. If im honest i bought it for £900, totally abused it, never put a spanner on it and went up to 200,000 miles then head gasket went, i then sold it for £400! if i didnt have to tow i would only have a forrester!

I think you will find that they are 80% FWD, not sure how it will cope with having no FWD!

Yer I thought they would of been 60/40 RWD but there 80/20! My mate has randomly got a spare box that he is going to sell me for £100 so am going to weld it up so it locks it in RWD for drifting in the summer then put the other box in for the winter!

Thats for 02 onwards dude! Cheers tho!

We've got a 2.0 turbo and have had one from new since 2004.

Goes like stink - mpg not brilliant (you can see fuel gauge moving cruising at 80+) but engine, serviced annually is like a sewing machine. Great equipment, big sunroof, slightly plasticy dash etc; typical jap.

Had no problems off road. Ok not massive clearance but great for fields, tracks and the like.

Last few years on the white stuff it's been very good traction wise on the standard Geolander tyres. Slightly dodgy if you turn the wheel sharply in snow, the car goes straight on but will hill start on packed snow and drive away when your MBs, BMWs and Audis are slip sliding away.

And, best of all, it's an understated shabby chic motor. Town or country it has respect. Class but class-less; for princes or paupers

We'll run ours on for ever....