Pole saw (power pruner)

Robert_S

I am in the market for one and have narrowed it down to these 2 so your opinions please :

1)Stihl HT131 telescopic

2)ECHO PPT265ES Telescopic

Now i have mostly stihl gear so i am tempted by that model BUT i am not too keen on the 4 mix engines as my hedge cutter is one and it feels and sounds strange.:biggrin:

Echo products i have used in the past have been fine, the pros for it are a 2 stroke engine has a longer reach (if i purchase the extension) and you can also get the hedgecutter attachments.

A post from someone who has used both these products in anger would be great, but no doubt it will derail into the legality of red diesel or an overloaded transit :001_rolleyes::thumbup:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have the Stihl HT131, and firstly let me say that a pole saw can speed the job up enormously e.g. getting stuck into a leylandii dismantle, crown lifting (obviously) and that "can you just take a branch off this for me please dear" moment at the end of a day.

I find the saw quite heavy even after short periods and might go for the next size down if I had the choice again.

Build quality is excellent in the main, but the silver coloured extension tube that slides out of the main, black, much stronger pole, is prone to getting bent if you're not careful. It really is quite pathetically flimsy. If your cutting at full extension and the chain gets snagged in the timber as it comes off the cut you'll find the silver tube get's bent really easily. Be warned.

Not sure what the Echo pole strength is like in comparison.

As above. The 131 is a bit heavy, but much more powerful than the 101 (which is grossly under-powered, and not a lot lighter). You'll be surprised how quickly you get used to the sound of the engine. Pole strength shouldn't make a difference though. Any piece big enough to catch and bend the extended pole should be cut carefully to avoid this cos they ain't cheap to fix. I use both daily, and would have the 131 any day. Know absolutely nothing about the Echo though, but as polesaws go I'd say the 131 would be pretty hard to beat.

I use both in conjunction with the Easy-Lift Harness. Both work well and the echo with the 4' extension gives me just the right additional height. I am in the process of securing the hedger attachment for the 131 and I am confident that it will do just fine as I have been told by other members that are currently using the hedger. Echo longer reach and more powerfull engine or Sthil with a hedger attachment and pretty girls on the calendar, the rest is up to you. Good Hedging!

easy-lift guy

Echo, had the above for 3 years now mainly used it with hedge cutter attachement, absolutely faultless. Must get the extension for it soon.

the hedge cutter wont work with the extension...it will destroy the clutch in a very short time.

Robert. I have used both and i personally prefer the stihl, though the echo is ok