Blown trees, discuss.

slack ma girdle

Clear a decent size area , attach Wire rope - attach to unimog and drive off lol . seriously though i think it is all dependent on the situation , often we are sent to jobs where a tree has been blown over and brought the powerlines to the floor without the lines breaking - to the point that two-three poles either side are bending so honestly every tree and every situation can end up with a different sequence of how and what we do to get the tree safely on the ground

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll second that comment with the polesaw :thumbup:

Its definately a safer way to do it.

Had a big apple (not a big tree but big for an apple!) to remove yesterday after it fell over in the high winds we've been having. Removed all the upper branches first to reduce the weight and that also removes some risk if the tree rolls when removing the lower supporting limbs.

Attach winch to highest point possible and then I tend to use the biggest length bar on the 66 and stand well clear when making cuts, normally clear obvious non intrusive limbs first, and slowly slowly catchy monkey until enough to winch over, and start the same process again.

Just like two guys from the environment agency did ending up with the tree though the windscreen of there landy impailing driver.

Imo this is the most dangerous operation a cutter can do and deffo not for a novice tackle every callout is different so is the way people will undertake the job just take your time make well considered actions and be ready to run if she tricks you.

cheers for the replys peoples.

This tree was resting on two branches that were on either side of the trunk, so i was reasonable sure that it was not going to roll. But to be sure i had it tied off to th landrover on one side, and to a tree on the other, whilst i was felling out the high up branches.

I have in the past used other trees as anchor points so that i can drop down onto the tree and not have to worry about it rolling, but this was not available.

It just got me thinking whilst i was scrabbling around under a couple of tons of timber: is there a different way ?

59765e2ea914d_Garronash2.jpg.5d9b088d5c148d23039d1b1037b34cb8.jpg

59765e2ea35f6_GarronAsh1.jpg.5bd13f92cfe689d88e1bc994fad4d07d.jpg

I cover emergency call out for highways have down 8 calls since lunch time yesterday you do get an eye for this sort of stuff and a knowledge of what you can do ie like walk up the back of big old hardwoods to fell out any vertical limbs.

Personaly I would start by removing any limbs not under load with on eye to possibly saving a limb in case it did roll and the slowly start to remove load limbs I always talk my plan though with my team and it usually changes as you strt to see how she is reacting remember your escape routes have a second pair of eyes watching at times have a def up listening for sudden sounds etc

Nicely put:thumbup1:

Clear a decent size area , attach Wire rope - attach to unimog and drive off lol . seriously though i think it is all dependent on the situation , often we are sent to jobs where a tree has been blown over and brought the powerlines to the floor without the lines breaking - to the point that two-three poles either side are bending so honestly every tree and every situation can end up with a different sequence of how and what we do to get the tree safely on the ground

We had that situation yesterday, very interesting! The Ash had moved 4 poles without snapping the line and was partially resting in a Beech on the other side of the road. Amazing how much the span could take.

Had a good sized beech that pinned an abc to the floor snapped one pole thought that had taken most of the tension out of line munched whole thing back to just clear of line started to do a step cut on main stem then ping up she went, there was poo:blushing:

:lol:

pole pruners are great for this kind of job to take off the higher limbs, so if she rolls while doing the limbs under tension then your less likely to get hit by anything from above. Mainly just take your time and be very very careful, always have an escape and always be ready to run like hell. Try to never work with anything above you and just keep nipping away at it till its down. Having a winch on it or being able to tie it off to another tree is always a good option. Most important of all is being able to understand where it will roll and when but that aint easy and i guess is what gets people killed:thumbdown:

:lol:

pole pruners are great for this kind of job to take off the higher limbs, so if she rolls while doing the limbs under tension then your less likely to get hit by anything from above. Mainly just take your time and be very very careful, always have an escape and always be ready to run like hell. Try to never work with anything above you and just keep nipping away at it till its down. Having a winch on it or being able to tie it off to another tree is always a good option. Most important of all is being able to understand where it will roll and when but that aint easy and i guess is what gets people killed:thumbdown:

Yep,& I try to get a rope or two into a good high limb to tie back to a third party anchor.:001_smile: