Wood Slab Table

cstelin

There's a lot more to making a table than just attaching a large slice of a tree to some legs, slapping some oil/varnish on it and hoping it will be ok!

Some of the factors to be taken into account include following, but it is not an exhaustive list.

Timber type; colour, hardness, stability

design; what are the customer's preferences or do they have any

size; how many people is it to accommodate, does the customer want it to be extending for special occasions such as Christmas day?

finish; does the customer want a bombproof finish or are they happy to give it a coat of oil every 6 months (its amazing the damage that can be caused to an oil type finish by a plate of spaghetti!)

does the table have to match in with or furniture in the house ie timber type, design or finish. Is the customer willing to give the designer/maker a free reign or will they insist on certain aspects to be included?

what kind of warranty will be given, after all it is a big item purchase and has to be 'fit for purpose' as well as look nice.

As someone who deals with these kind of issues on a day to day basis as a furniture designer/maker you have to be prepared to 'educate' your clients and be ready to back up your claims with evidence.

Whilst I dont want to be a devil's advocate, I wouldn't be happy spending well over £1000 plus on a piece of furniture which I would want to be the centre piece of my house with an unqualified and untested person who called themself a furniture maker. (anyone can, it's not against the law) There's a massive chasm between knocking up a coffee table with a nice plank for your own house where everyone will say that its nice regardless, and designing and making a centre piece for someone paying hard earned cash who wont be afraid to say that they dont like it or coming back to you in 3 months time complaining that it has warped and split of fallen apart!

just my penny's worth

Mike

, I wouldn't be happy spending well over £1000 plus on a piece of furniture which I would want to be the centre piece of my house with an unqualified and untested person who called themself a furniture maker. (anyone can, it's not against the law)

Mike

well you know, with that 3 & a half grand bedroom cabinet I put in my customers house, in that 5mill conversion.... ok, i didnt mill the timber but yada yada - i guess they'd say I could chalk up as a furniture maker 'wink'

& you know what son, just cos some might bash a few boards together, slap on a bit of muck, it makes them no less of a furniture maker than a man who knocks out flawless marquetry under a french polish that looks like god himself put it there - just in case that's you?!

& that's my pennys' worth !

Edited by TrollSpiel

• 2 years later...
cstellin

how about something like this? Oak, 2" thick. that top is one of the smaller ones @ 1.8m x 101cm at its widest.

legs, any timber style you like. ( i have a pal who bends inch perspex for table legs )

as with the finish. though my preference would be a wet looking water clear sprayed lacquer, very hard - not polished to a too high gloss or you'll see every scratch.

I have 6 of those tops, plus many others, bigger, smaller, lots of different woods. You can come and pick your own board if you like & then wait 3 weeks for me to build & finish it. hi, do you have anymore slabs like this? cheers, vinnie

Just outside london, can deliver, or collect.

hi, do you have anymore boards like this? cheers, vinnie