first saw

new_fella

hi guys im lpokon to get my first saw, ive only used a stihl 260 (i think) and a husky 346 on my cs30/31 course and much preferred the husky. theres a husky 357 on ebay at the mo that im watchin, just not sure wat to put in as a maximum bid? obviously for a first saw i dont want to spend a fortune but realise that ill hsve to part with a fair sum in order to not get a bag of s**t! the saw is in perfect workin order with obly usual wear and tear marks etc, wat would b a fair price do u think? (i dont want to put a link on here incase ppl start biding against me) ;)

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.551550,0.561811

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi guys im lpokon to get my first saw, ive only used a stihl 260 (i think) and a husky 346 on my cs30/31 course and much preferred the husky. theres a husky 357 on ebay at the mo that im watchin, just not sure wat to put in as a maximum bid? obviously for a first saw i dont want to spend a fortune but realise that ill hsve to part with a fair sum in order to not get a bag of s**t! the saw is in perfect workin order with obly usual wear and tear marks etc, wat would b a fair price do u think? (i dont want to put a link on here incase ppl start biding against me) ;)

---

I am here: Google Maps

If you don't want to put a link then how are people meant to be able to work out if it's worth decent money or pennies? Also the 260 is now obsolete, they have upgraded it to the 261.

What are you going to be using it for? As you have done tickets, I am guessing it's for some form of work. And if that's the case get a new one. A hundred quid saved now will quickly be lost when it decided to not start, at least with new you have the warranty and the knowledge that your the only person to have abused it.

Sorry, I know that was completely unhelpful.

husqvarna 357xp chainsaw | eBay

Right there you go!

Its for work, Im going to start doin small jobs for friends, family etc as ppl have said to do on here to get experience etc, so obviously only gonna be cutting stuff up to what the CS31 covers. I do want to go new but for a new saw it seems to be around the £400 mark which i really cant afford at the moment, was thinkin of trying to grab something cheap but honestly dont know what to do

husqvarna 357xp chainsaw | eBay

Right there you go!

Its for work, Im going to start doin small jobs for friends, family etc as ppl have said to do on here to get experience etc, so obviously only gonna be cutting stuff up to what the CS31 covers. I do want to go new but for a new saw it seems to be around the £400 mark which i really cant afford at the moment, was thinkin of trying to grab something cheap but honestly dont know what to do

Your right. About £450 is what you would need to spend on a decent saw. If you go for one its worth getting the 60cc versions rather than the 50 cc as it will give you scope to stick an 18" bar on without worrying. So i'd be looking at f r jones and the 362...

Also that saw looks like a dog. He knows enough to check the compression but says it could do with a service... After 2 weeks that thing is going to be cutting out and causing any buyer a real headache.

Anyway, back to money. There is an easy solution. Call up all the tree/landscaping companies in your area. Ask to speak to the boss, tell them your keen as mustard have your ground tickets and wondered if they could give you some experience. If you work hard a monkey has to be worth £50 a day... And on top of that, I let anyone who I like who works for me borrow my gear to do private work. I win cos they are happy, stay with me and can top up there wage without a payrise, and they win because they get some extra money without the outlay.

Your right. About £450 is what you would need to spend on a decent saw. If you go for one its worth getting the 60cc versions rather than the 50 cc as it will give you scope to stick an 18" bar on without worrying. So i'd be looking at f r jones and the 362...

Also that saw looks like a dog. He knows enough to check the compression but says it could do with a service... After 2 weeks that thing is going to be cutting out and causing any buyer a real headache.

Anyway, back to money. There is an easy solution. Call up all the tree/landscaping companies in your area. Ask to speak to the boss, tell them your keen as mustard have your ground tickets and wondered if they could give you some experience. If you work hard a monkey has to be worth £50 a day... And on top of that, I let anyone who I like who works for me borrow my gear to do private work. I win cos they are happy, stay with me and can top up there wage without a payrise, and they win because they get some extra money without the outlay.

Ok, duly noted, ill stay away from that saw then!! Ive posted a fair few posts in these here forums about finding work and have sent letters/emails and called literally every firm in the area (and some not so close to my area) and have had only one bit of luck so far, have also been going to local wildlife trusts etc about the possibility of voluntary work but still to no avail. My reasoning on buyin a saw was that if i were able to get more experience, and also say on my cv that i had my own saw, it would put me in a better position for possible job opportunities

Ok, duly noted, ill stay away from that saw then!! Ive posted a fair few posts in these here forums about finding work and have sent letters/emails and called literally every firm in the area (and some not so close to my area) and have had only one bit of luck so far, have also been going to local wildlife trusts etc about the possibility of voluntary work but still to no avail. My reasoning on buyin a saw was that if i were able to get more experience, and also say on my cv that i had my own saw, it would put me in a better position for possible job opportunities

Umm I'm probably not the best person to give you advice. So feel free to ignore it. However I don't think a saw would make a difference to your employment prospects. The thing is, when companies take on a job they know what equipment they have, if they let you bring in your own and it doesn't work they are ******. Similarly if they let you bring one in it would invalidate atleast my insurance... I know it's ****.

However keep pressing. Call up all the companies. Ask to meet up with the boss'. Generally they are decent people. However they are also busy, and they get a lot of people who do a one year nc out of school coming along asking for work all the time. Show them you really are passionate, tell them to give you one day to prove yourself and show them how hard you can work... I'd be impressed if someone called me and said that, infact I'd find a day just to see if they were that good. Letters are too easy to throw into the bin.

You will learn a lot more working with other people with more experience than just rushing into private work as well. The experience is what you are really desperate for at the moment!

if I was in your shoes, I'd spend 150-200 quid on a new homeowner type saw - MS171, Husky 236, or whatever floats your boat. Personally, I'm very happy with my little Efco MT3500 and would reccomend that, but I know it's not for everyone due to dealer support and it doesn't say Stihl or Husky on!

That way, you get a new saw with warranty and no history. While not a pro saw, if looked after it will deal with anything up to CS31 size. This will start earning you money doing small jobs, some of which you put aside.

In 1 month, 6 months, a year or whatever you get a new pro saw (insert model here). This becomes your main saw, but you still have the little cheap saw as a backup! So when you drive 20 miles to a job and realize your nice pro saw needs a spark plug, starter rope, new chain, get your bar pinched or whatever, you have old faithful to get you out of trouble.

hope this helps...

Joe

I can say that with only one exception (being a lovely old Stihl 088), every second hand saw I've bought has been a headache, and every new saw (bar one awful Stihl MS250) has been great.

Save up and buy new if you can. I've just got a 346xp for forestry and it's lovely.

Jonathan