Chain Sharpener?

Big T

• 1 year later...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone tried the portek ultra?

we handfile all our chains, but im looking to get a half decent bench mounted grinder, as have saved up a fair few dozen chains now that have some life in them, but have hit nails/rocks etc and will need a good few mm taking off each tooth

and no i cant be arsed handfiling them all or pissing about mounting each one on a bar to sharpen etc :)

for the money, the portek ultra seems pretty reasonable and looks solidly built (i.e metal rather then placcy)

thanks

joe

I have a small cheap Silverline sharpener, it has paid for itself a thousand times over and isn't bad at around £25.

Much of the art of chain sharpening is in the user and not the equipment, there are a few techniques I use to ensure the chain isn't over heated and the sharpening is done well.

The sharpener is good for when the chain has been mullered or badly sharpened and you want to get it back in spec - equal cutter lengths and angles etc. This can be done by file but is very time consuming!

A quick sharpen is best done with files but for buggered long loops, a sharpener does a good job!

Must say I like the look of the sharpener that rob offers for sale. Didnt realise such a setup is so simple and what looks easy to use.

I do like the grinder Rob sells - even chains on a 4ft bar can be done fairly quickly. I would like to get some CBN or diamond stones for it though so the diameter is maintained constantly for more sharpens. I use diamond stones for my Oregon grinder and they hold up really nicely.

Alec