Advice on buying small woodland

This may be out of date now but I'm also looking into buying woodland. How often do you need to visit it etc? Im looking at South East which is no problems to visit (my garden at home will suffer as I will be in the woods all the time) but we are planning on a move to Wales in the future so if I bought there I would have trouble getting there regularly for the first few years.

re buying a wood. look for a wood which has hazel in even if its gone ott hazel you can do so much with. binders stakes for hedgelaying. hurdle making even if you rent it to a hurdle maker. spars,faggots, charcoal. all will earn you some return on your investment. if it has chestnut then you can make many things including clothes pegs. i would be wary of a one type tree woodland.

mine is 80% hazel with ash birch and oak but they are protected so can not touch unless they fall

but if its neglected like mine a lot of work to get it back to get the wood you need to make things.

I have just started on making walking sticks so I was thinking of having hazel mixed in also. Comparing prices today I can buy 2 acres in surrey for 20k or 8 acres in wales for 20k - a no brainier really but although we visit Wales twice a year now moving is still way off on the horizon!

I visit mine about once per week, occasionally fortnightly.

I'd be very wary of being hundreds of miles away, especially as much of the attractive and low price wood that comes up is in Wales. Go there and buy a wood!

Leave some woodland for the people who actually live and work in Wales, I think there is now a clause that you have to speak welsh before they let you buy woodland in Wales !!!:thumbup: Twll tyn pob sais!